San Diego, Calif. --- The San José State women's outdoor track and field team had its first conference champion in the history of the two-year program standing tall on the podium at the conclusion of the first full day of events at the Mountain West Championships in San Diego, Calif.
Freshman Kelsey Johnson-Upshaw became the first woman to be a conference long jump champion when she hit a mark of 5.94 meters on her third and final attempt.
"On the last jump I just got that feeling that I know what I have to do, and just go for it," Johnson-Upshaw said. "At first I was a little disappointed. I wanted to jump further. But once everybody was done I was just relieved and happy to have won the event."
Her victory earned San José State 10 team points, and Cambree Harbaugh pitched in another four with her fifth place finish in the same event. The Spartans are currently in sixth place in the team standings with 18 points through seven scoring events.
Makayla Webb will be moving onto the finals in two events after she clocked a pair of personal-records on her first day of competition at the championships. A 13.94 in the 100-hurdles surpassed her previous best of 13.96, and her 1:00.01 in the 400-hurdles was good for third place and a second finals qualifying time of the day.
Angelica Parodi will also be advancing to a final, the 1500-meter run, after running a 4:37.63 in Friday's prelim.
San José State also saw a personal-record from Rebecca Garcia in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. Her time of 11:07.53 eclipsed her previous best of 11:11.05. Maija Pinkins' 12.38 and Madiha Raza's 12.71 in the 100-meter dash were a couple of season-best times.
A busy final day of the Mountain West Championships begins Saturday at 10:00 a.m. PT with the javelin throw trials and finals. The 4x100-meter relay at 11:00 a.m. PT kicks off the day's track events.
Live statistics and video coverage are available through the Mountain West Championship Central page.
2015 Mountain West Women's Outdoor Championship
May 13-16, San Diego, Calif.
TEAM STANDINGS (7 events)
1. 57 -- New Mexico
2. 56 -- Colorado State
3. 47 -- San Diego State
4. 31 -- Utah State
5. 27 -- Wyoming
6. 18 -- San José State
7. 14 -- Boise State
8. 11 -- Nevada
9. 9 -- UNLV
10. 3 -- Fresno State
FRIDAY'S EVENT RESULTS
1. Kelsey Johnson-Upshaw, San José State, 5.94m (w); 2. Chari Hawkins, Utah State, 5.92m; 3. Casey Dowling, New Mexico, 5.88m (w); 5. Cambree Harbaugh, San José State, 5.77m; 13. Leah Lambert, San José State, 5.24m
1. Marisa Howard, Boise State, 9:57.56; 2. Audra DeStefano, Wyoming, 10:24.34; 3. Nicola Hood, New Mexico, 10:27.66; 12. Rebecca Garcia, San José State, 11:07.53; 17. Lalida Maokahmphiou, San José State, 11:28.37.
1. Calli Thackery, New Mexico, 4:33.63Q; 2. Emma Bates, Boise State, 4:34.68Q; 3. Amber Zimmerman, New Mexico, 4:33.66Q; 11. Angelica Parodi, San José State, 4:37.63q; 19. Jennifer Beckingham, San José State, 4:50.53.
100-Meter Hurdles Prelims
1. Kristin Brown, San Diego State, 13.56Q; 2. Micha Auzenne, San Diego State, 13.59Q; 3. Holly VanGrinsven, New Mexico, 13.75q; 6. Makayla Webb, San José State, 13.94q; 12. Jade Childs, San José State, 14.26; 15. Leah Lambert, San José State, 14.95.
1. Emily Romo, Colorado State, 55.13Q; 2. Katherine Surin, Nevada, 55.39Q; 3. Holly VanGrinsven, New Mexico, 55.47q; 13. Caitlin Wilson, San José State, 56.61.
100-Meter Dash Prelims
1. Mackenzie Flannigan, Boise State, 11.53Q; 2. Micha Auzenne, San Diego State, 11.59Q; 3. Drea Austin, UNLV, 11.72Q; 20. Kelsey Johnson-Upshaw, San José State, 12.19; 22. Maija Pinkins, San José State, 12.38; 23. Madiha Raza, San José State, 12.71.
400-Meter Hurdles Prelims
1. Kyra Johnson, Fresno State, 58.60Q; 2. Erin Kirby, Wyoming, 1:00.30Q; 3. Makayla Webb, San José State, 1:00.01q.
200-Meter Dash Prelims
1. Mackenzie Flannigan, Boise State, 23.52Q; 2. Simone Glenn, San Diego State, 24.04Q; 3. Drea Austin, UNLV, 24.26Q; 14. Caitlin Wilson, San José State, 24.87; 18. Maija Pinkins, San José State, 25.31; 24. Madiha Raza, San José State, 26.61.