Logan, Utah ---- For the second time in three years the San José State University women's track and field team has a freshman wearing the Mountain West Women's Outdoor Track & Field Championship long jump crown.
Destiny Longmire, a freshman from Moreno Valley, Calif., jumped a lifetime-best 6.39 meters to become the champion. She jumped 6.24 meters on her third attempt and then beat it with the winning distance on her fifth try.
"Destiny had two really big jumps and I couldn't be more proud of her," said director of track and field Jeff Petersmeyer. "All three of our ladies in the long jump looked the best they have all season long. I knew we could have a solid day."
While Longmire racked up 10 team points for the Spartans, Kelsey Johnson-Upshaw tacked on five points and Cambree Harbaugh added another four. Both Johnson-Upshaw and Harbaugh jumped 6.06 meters. It was Johnson-Upshaw who won the MW Championship long jump in 2015 making her SJSU's first freshman outdoor champion.
"Kelsey has been looking good all year and it finally came together for her today," Petersmeyer said. "Cambree has been struggling to find the board so it was good to see her hit a couple of big jump. I think the best is yet to come for this group."
On a huge day when the Spartans landed 19 points from the long jump, they will head into the final day of the championship on Saturday in fourth place out of 11 with 25 team points.
Jade Childs represents another chance for San José State to earn points on Saturday after she qualified for the 100-meter hurdles. She clocked a 14.09 to secure the eighth and final spot in the finals.
Fans can follow all of the action on the final day of the Mountain West Women's Outdoor Track & Field Championships using the Championship Central page on themw.com.
CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM STANDINGS
- Colorado State (56)
- San Diego State (40.5)
- Nevada (38.5)
- San José State (25)
- Fresno State (24)
- Boise State (22)
- Air Force (20)
- Wyoming (17)
- New Mexico (13)
- UNLV (12)
- Utah State (5)
- Micha Auzenne, San Diego State, 12.95wq; 2. Taylor Pegrem, UNLV, 13.11wq; 3. Lorenda Holston, Colordo State, 13.12wq; 8. Jade Childs, San José State, 14:09wq; 15. Jayla Williams, San José State, 14.85w.
100 Meters Prelims
- Destiny Smith-Barnett, UNLV, 10.94wq; 2. Ashley Henderson, San Diego State, 11.16wq; 3. Najia Hudspeth, UNLV, 11.43wq; 11. Destiny Longmire, San José State, 11.84w; 14. Breya Carter, San José State, 12.45w; 17. Sahla Cook, San José State, 12.75.
- Andrenette Knight, San Diego State, 57.99q; 2. Emma Kratzberg, Colorado State, 1:00.12q; 3. Katie Werman, Colorado State, 1:01.52q; 19. Kolbi Sims, San José State, 1:04.82; 20. Diamond Tabron, San José State, 1:05.33.
200 Meters Prelims
- Ashley Henderson, San Diego State, 22.58wq; 2. Najia Hudspeth, UNLV, 22.89q; 3. Simone Glenn, San Diego State, 23.02q; 18. Breya Carter, San José State, 25.94w.
- Janelle Lincks, Colorado State, 10:26.45; 2. Emily Myers, Nevada, 10:31.64; 3. Auddra DeStfano, Wyoming, 10:32.58; 10. Jeanette Zambrano, San José State, 11:14.23.
Long Jump Finals
- Destiny Longmire, San José State, 6.39m(w); 2. Lisa-Anne Barrow, San Diego State, 6.17m(w); 3. Kadeisha Hield, Nevada, 6.15m(w); 4. Kelsey Johnson-Upshaw, San José State, 6.06m(w); 5. Cambree Harbaugh, San José State, 6.06m(w).