Jennifer Beckingham's victory in the 1500 meters event at the San Francisco State Distance Carnival highlighted day one of a split-squad weekend for the San José State women's outdoor track and field team. The Spartans were also in action at the Stanford Invitational on Friday.
Beckingham clocked a personal-best time of 4:26.82 in the 1500 meters, surpassing the standing best time this season in the Mountain West of 4:28.41. It was also a top-20 time in the NCAA's West Region and a San José State record.
"It was a really good PR for her," said Spartans' distance coach Brad Wick. "She led most of the race and then blew the field away on the last lap."
Rebecca Garcia led the Spartans in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, with a time of 11:15.94. Garcia beat her previous best this season of 11:23.32 which she ran at the Johnny Mathis Invitational (3/20).
Makayla Webb was another Spartan to beat a season-best on Friday, competing in the 400-meter hurdles at the Stanford Invitational. Webb clocked a 1:02.55 to finish second in her heat, and surpass her previous season-best of 1:03.82 at the Johnny Mathis Invitational (3/20).
SAN FRACISCO DISTANCE CARNIVAL DAY ONE RESULTS
1. Jennifer Beckingham, San José State, 4:26.82, 2. Katie Nicholls, Idaho State, 4:27.88; Olivia Watt, Chico State, 4:29.62; 33. Angelica Parodi, San José State, 4:42.18; 104. Diana Orozco, San José State, 5:11.23; 116. Breanna Garcia, San José State, 5:18.20; 120. Agnes Portal, San José State, 5:22.04.
3,000 Meter Steeplechase
1. Amy Schnittger, Sra/Sketchers, 10:26.21; 2. Shelby Mills, Gonzaga, 10:28.22; 3. Michaela Freeby, Willamette, 10:30.09; 24. Rebecca Garcia, San José State, 11:15.94; 32. Lalida Maokhamphiou, San José State, 11:46.23.
1. Jessica Pahkala, Alaska Anchorage, 2:10.59; 2. Lynelle Decker, Seattle Pacific, 2:10.64; 3. Bailey Henshaw, Chico State, 2:11.91; 58. Miranda Dos Santos, San José State, 2:22.55; 77. Marayne Martin, San José State, 2:28.86; 91. Jessica Stacey, San José State, 2:38.48.
1. Sarah Reiter, Eastern Washington, 16:36.28; 2. Anna Patti, Seattle Pacific, 16:41.56; 3. Maggie Jones, Gonzaga, 16:46.29; 97. Melanie Fujiwara, 18:48.21; 110. Karina Nunes, San José State, 19:11.47.
STANFORD INVITATIONAL DAY ONE RESULTS
100 Meter Hurdles
400 Meter Hurdles
1. Shamier Little, Texas A&M, 56.42; 2. Sonali Merrill, Unattached, 59.37; 3. Alexis Franklin, Ohio State, 59.49; 18. Makayla Webb, San José State, 1:02.55.
Long Jump (Collegiate)
1. Ta'Mara Richey, Portland State, 5.85m; 2. Marisa Kwiatkowski, Stanford, 5.83m; 3. Daryth Gayles, Stanford, 5.81m; 11. Jade Childs, San José State, 5.26m.
Long Jump (Invitational)
1. Taliyah Brooks, Arkansas, 6.25m; 2. Alex Gochenour, Arkansas, 6.09m; 3. Baileh Simma, Portland State, 5.99m; 12. Cambree Harbaugh, San José State, 5.54m; no place, Kelsey Johnson-Upshaw, foul; no place, Leah Lambert, San José State, foul.
High Jump (Invitational)
Emma Sutherland, San José State, NH