Albuquerque, N.M. --- Spartan Brittany Brown set a new indoor school record on Saturday in the 60-hurdles during the San José State women’s track & field team’s second day at the Don Kirby Invitational inside the Albuquerque Convention Center.
Brown made it through all two qualifying stages and into the finals for the 60-meter hurdles. It was in the semifinal round that she clocked an 8.50 to beat the previous record. Her time will be adjusted due to the altitude, however the mark is safe as the new school record. Brown beat the previous program best of 8.68 which she tied herself at the Jackson’s Open (12/9/17). Makayla Webb also clocked an 8.68 at the 2016 Don Kirby Invitational.
“We had some solid marks this weekend,” said Director of Track & Field Jeff Petersmeyer. “The highlights were Cambree (Harbaugh) finishing second among collegiate long jumpers and Brittany Brown who smashed the school record. Lovnie (Dantes) looked really good in the 400 meters last night as well.”
Both Harbaugh and Dantes competed last night. Harbaugh jumped 6.05 meters which was just short of a personal-best indoors. Dantes clocked a 57.48 which ranks second on SJSU’s all-time indoor list in the 400.
San José State will return to the Albuquerque Convention Center at the end of the month for the Mountain West Championships on Feb. 22-24.
Saturday Event Results
60 Meters Prelims
- Lekeisha Lawson, Unattached, 7.36q; 2. Deajah Stevens, Unattached, 7.43; 3. Dominique Booker, Unattached, 7.52q; 37. Kelsey Johnson-Upshaw, San José State, 7.85; 54. Breya Carter, San José State, 8.09.
60 Meters Semifinals
- Ashley Henderson, San Diego State, 7.20; 2. Makenzie Dunmore, Oregon, 7.29; 3. Deajah Stevens, Unattached, 7.30q; 18. Destiney Longmire, San José State, 7.67.
60 Hurdles Prelims
- Mychal Robinson, UC Irvine, 8.62q; 2. Elijah McDonal, Long Beach State, 8.70q; 3. Brittany Brown, San José State, 8.73q; 13. Jayla Williams, San José State, 8.89.
60 Hurdles Semis
- Alaysha Johnson, Oregon, 8.37q; 2. Brandi Hughes, Tulane, 8.38; 3. Selena Wright, Sam Houston State, 8.40q; 5. Brittany Brown, San José State, 8.50q.
60 Hurdles Finals
- Alaysha Johnson, Oregon, 8.13; 2. Destinee Rocker, Colorado State, 8.29; 3. Kaylah Robinson, Oregon, 8.33; 8. Brittany Brown, San José State, 8.61.
- Chaquinn Cook, Oregon, 13.11m; 2. Sabina Allen, Campbell, 13.01m; 3. Tristyn Allen, Sam Houston State, 12.86m; 10. Brittany Brown, San José State, 12.10m; 27. Cambree Harbaugh, San José State, 11.46m.