Denver, Colo. --- The San Jose State women’s tennis team did not lose a set in match play and advanced to the semifinal round of the WAC Championship Tournament after sweeping UTSA, 4-0.
This is the first time in the 17 seasons as a WAC member that the Spartans have advanced to the semi-finals round of the WAC Championship. In the semifinal round, San Jose State takes on Louisiana Tech starting at 2:00 p.m. (MDT).
“It was a great performance,” said head coach Sylvain Marloux about the team's win over UTSA. “We had to adjust to high altitude, but overall we did a really good job in the first round. “
The Spartans started out with two doubles wins which secured the doubles points for San Jose State. The duo of Sabastiani Leon Chao and Erica Medlin finished first at the #1 spot, defeating UTSA’s doubles team of Isabelle Jonsson and Alena Shichkova, 8-2. This season, Leon Chao and Medlin have a 12-4 record as a pair.
At #2, Chau Truong and Julianna Bacelar closed the doubles competition with an 8-6 win against Daniela Garcia-Diaz and Jacobea Junger. This is Bacelar’s 50th combined singles and doubles win, extending her school single-season record, in 2012-13.
Going into singles, the Spartans only needed to win three matches in order to move on to the next round. Playing at the #3 spot, Truong defeated Shichkova in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3. Medlin finished second after she topped Kanya Menon of UTSA 6-1, 6-3. #53 nationally-ranked Klaudia Boczova closed the singles competition with a 6-4, 6-1 victory against Junger for the team victory.
"We did a good job in both doubles and singles and even though we played UTSA in regular season, it is always good to improve. We are excited about playing in the semifinals tomorrow." concluded Malroux.
During the season, San Jose State defeated Louisiana Tech, 4-3, in the WAC five-way conference dual match held on March 22 at the Spartan Tennis Complex.
San Jose State vs. UTSA
2013 WAC Championship
April 25, 2013
San Jose State 4, UTSA 0
1. Sabastiani Leon Chao/Erica Medlin (SJSU) def. Isabelle Jonsson/Alena Shichkova (UTSA), 8-2.
2. Chau Truong/Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Daniela Garcia-Diaz/ Jacobea Junger (UTSA), 8-6.
3. Amber Walker/Justine Deleval (SJSU) vs. Natalie Hand/Kavya Menon (UTSA), 6-4 Unfinished.
1. #53 Klaudia Boczova (SJSU) def. Jacobea Junger (UTSA), 6-4, 6-1.
2. Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) vs. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA), 6-4, 5-2, Unfinished.
3. Chau Truong (SJSU) def. Alena Shichkova (UTSA), 6-1, 6-3.
4. Erica Medlin (SJSU) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA), 6-1, 6-3.
5. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) vs. Miranda Poile (UTSA), 6-3, 5-1, Unfinished.
6. Justine Deleval (SJSU) vs. Irene Gandara (UTSA), 6-4, 5-2, Unfinished.