Denver, Colo. --- The San Jose State women’s tennis team advances to the WAC Tennis Championship after winning the doubles point and three singles matches in the 4-2 victory over Louisiana Tech.
This is the first time in conference history that the Spartans have advanced to the finals at a WAC Women's Tennis Championship.
“The team came out playing very aggressively in doubles and did a really good job which put us in a good position for singles,” said head coach Sylvain Malroux. “The singles did a good job and came out with the win. The team (Louisiana Tech) was really tough today, but our players really took care of business. We are all extremely proud with the way they composed themselves and the way they competed.”
The Spartans started the day, 1-0, after taking the doubles point away from the Bulldogs. The no. 3 duo of Chau Truong and Julianna Bacelar finished first in doubles for San Jose State after defeating LA Tech’s Melanie Urvoy and Taly Merker, 8-0. With this win, Truong and Bacelar have a 14-3 overall record for the season.
The no.1 doubles team of Sabastiani Leon Chao and Erica Medlin secured the doubles point after defeating LA Tech’s duo of Vivian ten Dolle and Monoela Chiacchio, 8-2.
In singles, Medlin defeated Urvoy in straight sets, 6-0, 6-3 at the no. 4 position giving the Spartans a 2-1 lead over La Tech. At no. 1, #53-ranked Klaudia Boczova won next in singles after topping LA Tech's Jonna Nalborska 7-5, 6-3, for a 3-2 lead. Bacelar closed the match at the no.5 spot against Merker, winning in straight sets 6-3, 6-1, and secured a victory for the Spartans.
“We are all excited about tomorrow’s match and hopefully we will be able to take the WAC Championship title.” Concluded Malroux.
The Spartans continue play Saturday, March 27, as the Spartans move to the Championship round against the University of Denver. Match play begins at 2:00 p.m. (MDT).
San Jose State vs. Louisiana Tech
2013 WAC Championship
April 26, 2013
San Jose State 4, Louisiana Tech 2
1. Sabastiani Leon Chao/ Erica Medlin (SJSU) def. Vivian ten Dolle/ Manoela Chiacchio (LA TECH),8-2.
2. Klaudia Boczova/Jessica Willett (SJSU) def. Joanna Nalborska/Alexandra Starkova (LA TECH), 6-3 UNF
3. Chau Truong/ Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Melanie Urvoy/ Taly Merker (LA TECH), 8-0.
Order of finish (3,1)
1. #53 Klaudia Boczova (SJSU) def. Joanna Nalborska (LA TECH), 7-5, 6-3.
2. Alexandra Starkova (LA TECH) def. Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU), 6-2,6-2.
3. Chau Truong (SJSU) vs. Vivian ten Dolle (LA TECH), 7-6, 0-3, UNF
4. Erica Medlin (SJSU) def. Melanie Urvoy (LA TECH), 6-0, 6-3.
5. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Taly Merker (LA TECH), 6-3, 6-1.
6. Manoela Chiacchio (LA TECH) def. Jessica Willett (SJSU), 6-1, 6-1.
Order of finish: (6, 4, 2, 1, 5)