Davis, Calif. -- The San Jose State women’s tennis fell short in their final road match of the regular season, 6-1, to the UC Davis Aggies, Sunday, April 15. Following the record setting 12 match win streak the Spartans have dropped their last two contests.
In doubles San Jose State (13-5) started the day strong, Sabastiani Leon Chao /Erica Medlin took the first doubles match from the No. 1 position over Layla Sanders/Kelly Chui, 8-2. The two other doubles matches were tight matches, however the Spartans fell, 8-5, in both the No. 2 & 3 spots.
“Davis played extremely hard today,” coach Sylvain Malroux said. “We were right there in doubles but just couldn’t find a way to break through.”
After winning 11 straight doubles points, San Jose State has come up empty in their last three matches.
“We didn’t come out flat,” Malroux added, “Davis just found ways to keep us from climbing back when we had chances.”
Freshman Jessica Willett secured the sole Spartans singles victory, playing in the No. 4 spot, beating Lauren Curry, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4. Chau Truong also went to a super tie break but fell to Dahra Zamudio, 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (3) in the No. 2 singles position.
The Spartans will return home on Friday, April 20, to take on WAC opponent Idaho in the regular season finale. The match is scheduled to start at 11:00 a.m. from the Spartan Tennis Complex.
UC Davis 6, San Jose State 1
April 15, 2012 at Davis, Calif.
Marya Welch Tennis Center
1. Sabastiani Leon Chao/Erica Medlin (SJSU) def. Layla Sanders/Kelly Chui (UCD) 8-2
2. Megan Heneghan/Ellie Edles (UCD) def. Chau Truong/Alexis Marquez (SJSU) 8-5
3. Dahra Zamudio/Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Isadora Busch/Jessica Willet (SJSU) 8-5
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Dahra Zamudio (UCD) def. Chau Truong (SJSU) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (3)
3. Kelly Chui (UCD) def. Erica Medlin (SJSU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Jessica Willett (SJSU) def. Lauren Curry (UCD) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
5. Layla Sanders (UCD) def. Isadora Busch (SJSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Alexis Marquez (SJSU) 6-1, 7-6 (6)
Order of finish: 1,3,5,2,6,4