Moscow, Idaho --- The #66-ranked San Jose State women’s tennis team concluded their regular season after defeating the University of Idaho, 4-0.
The Spartans (16-5, 8-1 WAC) clinched the win against the Vandals (10-11, 3-4 WAC) without going into doubles match play, after they won four of the six singles matches.
“We had a good performance today for our last match of the season,” said head coach Sylvain Malroux. “They came out strong and did a really good job at finishing the match.”
In singles, #47 nationally ranked Klaudia Boczova, Sabastiani Leon Chao, Chau Truong, and Erica Medlin each posted a win for the Spartans.
At the number-one spot, Boczova defeated Victoria Lozano of Idaho in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1. improving her singles season record to 12-3.
Playing at number three Chau Truong finished her season strong with a win against Idaho’s Constance Alexander, 6-0, 7-5, adding to her school-record career win total, making it 123.
Leon Chao topped Almudena Sanz, 6-0, 7-5, and Medlin won in straight sets against Belen Barcenilla, defeating her 6-4, 6-0.
“We now have ten days to get ready for the conference tournament and we cannot wait to get to Denver,” concluded Malroux.
The Spartans travel to Denver, Colo. Thursday, April 25 through Saturday, April 27 to compete in the WAC Championships held at the Gates Tennis Center located on the University of Denver’s campus.
San Jose State vs. University of Idaho
April 13, 2013
San Jose State 4 University of Idaho 0
1. #47 Klaudia Boczova (SJSU) def. Victoria Lozano (UI), 6-2, 6-1.
2. Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) def. Almudena Sanz (UI), 6-0, 7-5.
3. Chau Truong (SJSU) def. Constance Alexander (UI), 6-2, 6-1.
4. Erica Medlin (SJSU) def. Belen Barcenilla (UI), 6-4, 6-0.
5. Beatriz Flores (UI) vs. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU), unfinished.
6. Alejandra Lozano (UI) vs. Jessica Willett (SJSU), unfinished.
Doubles did not play.