Logan, Utah --- In a battle of the two top women's tennis teams in the Western Athletic Conference, #61-University of Denver defeated #66-San Jose State University, 4-3.
The Spartans (14-5, 6-1 WAC) had their seven-match winning streak stopped as the Pioneers (12-3, 5-0 WAC) won their fifth in a row.
San Jose won the doubles point to start the match and two singles matches at the top of the lineup.
The doubles team of sophomores Jessica Willett and Klaudia Boczova defeated Denver’s duo of Emma Isburg and Mandy van den Eerenbeemt 8-5 and Chau Truong and partner Julianna Bacelar sealed the win for the Spartans after topping Caroline Schnell and Kathryn Hughes 8-1.
In singles play, #44 Boczova and junior Sabastiani Leon Chao came each came away with a victory in straight sets.
Boczova, playing #1, defeated Sophia Bergner of Denver 6-2, 6-4, winning the first point for San Jose State in singles match play and Leon Chao, at #2, defeated Schnell in straight sets 6-1, 6-3.
Erica Medlin, playing #4-singles, and Bacelar, at #5, each lost a three-set singles match by a 6-3 score in the final set. Bacelar had won nine consecutive singles matches dating back to mid-February and came into the Denver match with a 26-5 win-loss record. Medlin was going for her 20th singles of the season.
The Spartans conclude the 2012-13 regular season as they travel to Moscow, Idaho to take on UTSA and the University of Idaho on Friday, April 12 through Saturday, April 13 at the University of Idaho’s Tennis Complex.
San Jose State vs. University of Denver
April 6, 2013
Denver 4 San Jose State 3
1. Sophia Bergner/ Steffi Rath (Denver) vs. Sabastiani Leon Chao/Erica Medlin (SJSU) DNF
2. Jessica Willett/ Klaudia Boczova (SJSU) def. Emma Isburg/ /Mandy van den Eerenbeemt (Denver) 8-5
3. Chau Truong/ Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Caroline Schnell/ Kathryn Hughes (Denver) 8-1
1. Klaudia Boczova (SJSU) def. Sophia Bergner (Denver) 6-2, 6-4
2. Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) def. Caroline Schnell (Denver) 6-1, 6-3
3. Emma Isberg (Denver) def. Chau Truong (SJSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Mandy van den Eerenbeemt (Denver) def. Erica Medlin (SJSU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
5. Kathryn Huges (Denver) def. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
6. Steffi Rath (Denver) def. Jessica Willett (SJSU) 6-2, 7-6 (5)