San Jose, Calif. – The San Jose State women’s tennis team has its first winning streak and first home victory of the season, beating the Sonoma State Seawolves, 7-0, Saturday, February 18.
The Spartans (3-3) singles players won each match in straight sets. In the No. 1 position, Sabastiani Leon Chao defeated sophomore Megan White in the first set, 6-0, which took 14 minutes to complete. Leon Chao followed with a second set victory, 6-1.
A pair of San Jose State freshmen picked up their first collegiate singles dual match wins on Saturday. First playing out of the 5th spot, Jessica Willett bested sophomore Sheena Johnson, 6-2, 6-3. Not long after Willett finished her match, Alexis Marquez disposed of Lauren Ha 6-2, 6-0.
Head coach Sylvain Malroux is happy with the progress of the team. “I think the team is molding right now. We have been working very hard at practice and it shows,” Malroux said. “I loved the energy and intensity out there in every match today. No one was backing down and that shows we can compete at a high level.”
“I had a little bit of concern today that the players may be tired. We played a very long match yesterday (at USF),” Malroux added. “For now I think the doubles pairings are where they need to be.”
For the second straight day San Jose State took the doubles point. Led by Leon Chao and freshman Erica Medlin, they finished off the Seawolves' Megan White and Krista Cole, 8-0. Willett and Isadora Busch teamed up in the No. 3 doubles position and secured an 8-2 win over Lauren Ha and Sheena Johnson.
The Spartans now have a 3-0 record when they win the doubles point this season.
San Jose State will have a week off before they take on Louisiana Tech and Grambling State as part of a double header in Louisiana, Friday, March 3.
San Jose State Women’s Tennis
Spartan Tennis Complex, San Jose, Calif.
February 18, 2012
- (SJSU) Leon Chao/Medlin def. (SON) White/Cole 8-0
- (SON) Hoffmire/McBride def. (SJSU) Truong/Marquez 8-7
- (SJSU) Willett/Busch def. (SON) Ha/Johnson 8-2
- (SJSU) Sabastiani Leon Chao def. (SON) Megan White 6-0, 6-1
- (SJSU) Erica Medlin def. (SON) Krista Cole 6-2, 6-1
- (SJSU) Chau Truong def. (SON) Brooke McBride 6-2, 6-0
- (SJSU) Isadora Busch def. (SON) Stephanie Hoffmire 7-5, 6-1
- (SJSU) Jessica Willett def. (SON) Sheena Johnson 6-2, 6-3
- (SJSU) Alexis Marquez def. (SON) Lauren Ha 6-2, 6-0