San Francisco, Calif. –The San Jose State women’s tennis team won the doubles point for the second time this season and defeated USF, 4-3, Friday, February 17.
San Jose State (2-3) took two of three matches in doubles play. Sophomore Sabastiani Leon Chao and freshman Erica Medlin, playing in the No. 1 spot, handled junior Yurie Hashiguchi and freshman Marina Nikolic, 8-2. It was the second time Medlin/Leon Chao were paired together and their first victory.
Chau Truong and Alexis Marquez also had their first victory as a tandem in an 8-4 win, knocking off San Francisco’s Julia Wartenburger and Milica Hadzi Tanovic.
The Spartans won three singles matches. Leon Chao secured her third dual match win of the season taking on Nikolic in the No. 1 position. Leon Chao took the first set 6-2, but Nikolic fought back to tie it up after the second set, 3-6. In the final set, Leon Chao sealed the victory with a 6-3 win.
Truong beat out Hadzi Tanovic in the No. 3. spot. She fell in the opening set after a tiebreak, 6-7 (10-12), but then proceeded to take the next two, 6-2, 6-1. Rounding out the Spartans singles victories was freshman Isadora Busch, playing in #6 position. She downed senior Alana McMahon in straight sets 6-1, 6-3.
The Spartans next match will be on Saturday, February 18 as they take on Sonoma State. Play is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m. at the Spartan Tennis Complex.
San Jose State Women's Tennis
Golden Gate Tennis Club, San Francisco, Calif.
February 17, 2012
San Jose State 4, San Francisco 3
- Leon Chao/Medlin def. Nikolic/Hashiguchi 8-2
- Truong/Marquez def. Wartenburger/ Hadzi Tanovic 8-4
- Akerbrant/McMahon def, Willett/Busch 8-6
- Sabastiani Leon Chao def. Marina Nikolic 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
- Julia Wartenburger def. Erica Medlin 6-1, 3-6, 3-6
- Chau Truong def. Milica Hadzi Tanovic 6-7 (10-12), 6-2, 6-1
- Melinda Akerbrant def. Jessica Willett 6-3, 6-4
- Isadora Busch def. Alana McMahon 6-1, 6-3
- Yurie Hashiguchi def. Alexis Marquez 6-1, 7-5