San Luis Obispo, Calif. –Singles match wins by freshmen Erica Medlin and Isadora Busch were not enough as the 46th-ranked Cal Poly Mustangs (4-1) won, 5-2, over San Jose State, Saturday, February 11.
San Jose State's (1-3) day started with a new doubles match lineup. Sophomore Sabastiani Leon Chao and freshman Erica Medlin played from the No. 1 spot falling 8-5 to Jocelyn Davis and Alexa Lee. The Spartans lost in the two other matches dropping the doubles point.
Head coach Sylvain Malroux has changed the doubles lineup in each of the last three matches.
“We are still trying to find the right combination that will work for us in doubles,” the Spartans first year head coach said. “it is still early in the year but we need consistency.”
“Cal Poly is a good team and I thought we competed in singles well.”
In the singles matches, there was also a San Jose State lineup change. Medlin moved up to the No. 2 spot and junior Chau Truong slid down to the No. 3. Medlin was victorious in straight sets over Jen Cornea, 7-6, 7-5. Truong however dropped her match with Mustangs player Jocelyn Davis 6-3, 7-5.
The Spartans other singles match win came from freshman Isadora Busch. Playing out of the No. 6 spot Busch lost the first set, 2-6, to Cal Poly's Ane McPike. She fought back to win the next set, 7-6, and take the tiebreak.
The Spartans next match will be on Friday, February 17 as they take on the USF Dons in San Francisco. Play is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m.
No. 46 Cal Poly 5, San Jose State 2
Feb. 10, 2012
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
1. Davis/Lee (CP) def. Leon Chao/Medlin (SJSU), 8-5
2. Gatewood/Cornea (CP) def. Truong/Marquez (SJSU), 9-7
3. McPike/Webb (CP) def. Willett/Florea (SJSU), 8-2
1. Alexa Lee (CP) def. Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Erica Medlin (SJSU) def. Jennifer Cornea (CP), 7-6, 7-5
3. Jocelyn Davis (CP) def. Chau Truong (SJSU), 6-3, 7-5
4. Gabby Gatewood (CP) def. Jessica Willett (SJSU), 6-4, 6-0
5. Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Alexis Marquez (SJSU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Isadora Busch (SJSU) def. Ane McPike (CP), 2-6, 7-6 (1-0)