San Jose, Calif.-----The San Jose State women’s tennis team fell to Santa Clara, 7-0, in the Spartans’ first home match this season.
The San Jose State (1-1) tandem of Sandra Florea and Jessica Willett earned the lone Spartans doubles victory. They defeated Santa Clara’s Kacie Wagner and Alex Zaniewski 8-7(5). Playing in the number-three spot in the lineup, this Spartan duo improves to 2-0 on the season with this victory.
In the singles matches, Isadora Busch lost the first set 6-3 to the Broncos’ Kacie Wagner. Busch came back in the second set with a 6-2 victory to tie the match. But, in a close super tiebreaker, Wagner bested Busch, 10-6.
The rest of the Spartan singles players, Sabastiani Leon Chao, Chau Truong, Erica Medlin, Jessica Willett, and Sandra Florea, lost in straight sets.
“Santa Clara is a very talented and well-coached team,” head coach Sylvain Malroux said following the loss. “We came out with a matched intensity and I think we proved that we can compete with a very good program even though we lost.”
San Jose State will play again at home, Sunday, January 29, facing Oregon at 12:00 p.m. at the Spartan Tennis Complex.
San Jose State Women's Tennis
Spartan Tennis Complex, San Jose, Calif.
January 27, 2012
Santa Clara 7, San Jose State 0
1. Katie Le (SCU) def. Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. Chau Truong (SJSU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) def. Erica Medlin (SJSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Kacie Wagner (SCU) def. Isadora Busch (SJSU) 6-3, 2-6, 10-6
5. Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Jesssica Willett (SJSU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Sandra Florea (SJSU) 6-2, 6-0