ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- San José State's women's tennis team held a 3-1 lead over New Mexico in the 2015 Mountain West Women's Tennis Championship, but saw the Lobos rally back for a 4-3 win Saturday night at McKinnon Family Tennis Stadium.
San José State (14-7, 3-1 MW) looked poised to stage a comeback to advance to the championship match, but New Mexico was able to fend off the Spartans.
After dropping the doubles point with a pair of 6-3 losses, the Spartans used strong singles play to come within one point of the championship match at 3-1.
New Mexico countered with a trio of three-set wins, however, and ended San José State's season in a 4-3 heartbreaker.
Sybille Gauvain (No. 1), Gaelle Rey (No. 3) and Malin Cubukcu (No. 5) took care of their Lobo opponents in straight sets to account for the Spartans' three points.
Julianna Bacelar finished her San José State career with 131 wins -- one win shy of tying the career mark. The senior looked to have a chance to tie the mark in doubles action, but her match went unfinished at 4-4, as New Mexico captured the point before the deciding games.
#61 New Mexico 4, San José State 3
Albuquerque, N.M. (McKinnon Family Tennis Stadium)
Saturday, April 25, 2015
Order of finish: 2, 1
1. Dulski/Smith (UNM) def. Klocker/Rey (SJSU): 6-3
2. Oliver/Coone (UNM) def. Cubukcu/Gauvain (SJSU): 6-3
3. Baklini/Bhat (UNM) def. Pahz/Bacelar (SJSU): 4-4, unfinished
Order of finish: 5, 1, 3, 2, 4, 6
1. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) def. Emily Oliver (UNM): 6-2, 6-3
2. Natasha Smith (UNM) def. Marie Klocker (SJSU): 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Gaelle Rey (SJSU) def. Meredith Hopson (UNM): 7-5, 6-0
4. Dominique Dulski (UNM) def. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU): 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
5. Malin Cubukcu (SJSU) def. Rachana Bhat (UNM): 6-1, 6-1
6. Sharon Coone (UNM) def. Abbie Pahz (SJSU): 3-6, 6-1, 6-1