RENO, Nev. -- San José State's women's tennis team closed out the season on a five-match win streak by topping Nevada, 5-2, Saturday afternoon at the Caughlin Club.
"Today was a tough match trying to adjust to the elevation against a very solid team," said Spartans' head coach Sylvain Malroux. "We did a nice job with this challenge and it will help us tremendously going into the conference tournament next week."
No. 62 San José State (13-6, 3-1 MW) got off to a slow start, losing at the top two doubles spots by 6-2 scores to concede the doubles point to Nevada (8-10, 1-5 MW).
The Spartans came alive in singles, however, winning at the top three and bottom two spots to seal the 5-2 win.
Julianna Bacelar recorded a pair of wins on the afternoon, moving her into sole possession of second place on San José State's career wins list. The senior's 129 victories are second to only Chau Truong's 132 in program history.
Sybille Gauvain, Marie Klocker, Abbie Pahz and Gaelle Rey each won their fourth consecutive singles matches to close the regular season. Gauvain, Rey and Pahz won theirs in straight sets while Rey rebounded from a first-set loss to take it in three.
The Spartans head to the 2015 Mountain West Women's Tennis Championship in Albuquerque, N.M., beginning Thursday.
#62 San José State 5, Nevada 2
Reno, Nev. (Caughlin Club)
Saturday, April 18, 2015
1. Morales/Delic (NV) def. Klocker/Rey (SJSU): 6-3
2. Legendre/Smiley (NV) def. Gauvain/Cubukcu (SJSU): 6-2
3. Bacelar/Pahz (SJSU) def. Pavelea/Magusiak (NV): 6-3
1. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) def. Sheila Morales (NV): 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. Juliette Legendre (NV): 6-2, 6-2
3. Gaelle Rey (SJSU) def. Sheila Smiley (NV): 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Blaga Delic (NV) def. Malin Cubukcu (SJSU): 6-0, 6-3
5. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Monika Magusiak (NV): 6-2, 6-0
6. Abbie Pahz (SJSU) def. Sara Korzeniecki (NV): 6-0, 6-0