SAN JOSE, Calif. – San José State’s women’s tennis team nearly upstaged No. 37 Fresno State, but fell just short in a 4-3 loss Friday afternoon at Spartan Courts.
The Spartans (9-9, 1-2 MW) dropped to .500 for the first time this season, while the Bulldogs (16-8, 3-0 MW) captured their fourth consecutive win to remain undefeated in Mountain West play.
Friday’s match kicked off with a heavyweight showdown atop the doubles lineup. Sybille Gauvain and Marie Klocker pulled off a 6-3 upset of the Bulldogs’ No. 24 duo of Mayar Sherif Ahmed and Rana Sherif Ahmed.
Marine Dans and Miyo Kobayashi matched Klocker and Gauvain with a 6-3 win of their own at No. 2, giving the Spartans an early 1-0 lead.
The Bulldogs stormed back with three consecutive points to start the singles portion, but San José State was up for the challenge. Dans earned the second Spartan point of the day with a straight-set win at No. 4, and Klocker followed up with a three-set victory at No. 2. The match came down to court No. 5, where Fresno State’s Anneka Watts pulled out a come-from-behind 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over Kobayashi to seal the win for the Bulldogs.
"We got off to a good start in doubles. Fresno State is number one in the Mountain West for a reason. We pushed them to the end. Miyo did her best and just came up on the short end,” said Spartans’ head coach Chad Skorupka.
“We just have to move on from this match, refocus and be ready for a tough match against Nevada tomorrow on Senior Day."
The Spartans play their final home match of the 2016 season Saturday at 12:00 p.m. Justine Deleval, the lone senior on San José State’s roster, will be honored before the match.
#37 Fresno State 4, San José State 3
Spartan Courts (San Jose, Calif.)
Friday, April 15, 2016
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Sybille Gauvain/Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. #24 Mayar Sherif Ahmed/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS): 6-3
2. Marine Dans/Miyo Kobayashi (SJSU) def. Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FS): 6-4
3. Sofya Malysheva/Olivia Noble (FS) def. Gaelle Rey/Justine Deleval (SJSU): 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 1, 4, 2, 5
1. #52 Mayar Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU): 6-4, 6-4
2. Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. Sophie Watts (FS): 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Rana Sherif Ahmed (Fresno State) def. Gaelle Rey (SJSU): 6-0, 6-2
4. Marine Dans (SJSU) def. Galina Bykova (FS): 6-3, 7-6 (7)
5. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Miyo Kobayashi (SJSU): 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Justine Deleval (SJSU): 6-2, 6-2