LONG BEACH, Calif. – San José State’s women’s tennis team battled the elements and a tough Long Beach State squad Saturday afternoon, and dropped a 6-0 decision to the host 49ers at Rhodes Tennis Center.
Due to inclement weather, the teams did not play the doubles portion of the match. The day started with singles competition and featured a few delays along the way, including one over two hours in length, but was able to be completed.
With the loss, San José State fell to 9-8 on the campaign and finished its road slate with a 4-5 record. No. 64 Long Beach State improved to 15-4 overall and captured its eighth straight win.
Marie Klocker (No. 2) and Gaelle Rey (No. 3), who did not get to put their new national doubles ranking to the test, each took their 49ers foe to three sets before falling. Miyo Kobayashi’s 6-4, 6-3 loss at No. 5 snapped her eight-match singles win streak and marked her first loss in nearly two calendar months (February 20).
The Spartans close out the regular season with a pair of home conference matches. Fresno State visits Spartan Courts on Friday, April 15 and Nevada comes to town the following afternoon.
#64 Long Beach State 6, San José State 0
Rhodes Tennis Center (Long Beach, Calif.)
Saturday, April 9, 2016
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 4, 1, 3, 2
1. #77 Maeva Razakasoa (LBSU) def. Gauvain, Sybille (SJSU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Ebba Unden (LBSU) def. Klocker, Marie (SJSU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
3. Julie Gerard (LBSU) def. Rey, Gaelle (SJSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Laura Eales (LBSU) def. Dans, Marine (SJSU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
5. Hayley Thompson (LBSU) def. Kobayashi, Miyo (SJSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Georgie Sanders (LBSU) def. Deleval, Justine (SJSU) 6-2, 6-1