April 4, 2014
Las Vegas, Nev. --- Jessica Willett scored the only point for the San José State University women's tennis team but the Spartans fell short to UNLV 6-1, in its first conference dual match.
A junior from Fallbrook, Calif., Willett defeated UNLV's (9-8), Kamelia Dimitrova in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4.
Four of the remaining five singles matches went to three sets and the Rebels won all four third sets. Marie Klocker at #1, Sabastiani Leon Chao at #3 and Tipper Truong at #6 captured the first set in their respective singles matches before their opponent came back to take the next two sets for the win.
In doubles, Willett teamed up with Julianna Bacelar, defeating Dimitova and teammate Anett Ferenczi-Bako, 8-4, for the only doubles win for the Spartans (9-11).
San José State travels to San Diego on Sunday, April 6, to compete against San Diego State. Play begins at 12:00 p.m. at the San Diego State campus.
UNLV 6, San José State 1
April 4, 2014
Frititta Tennis Complex
1. #58 Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Marie Klocker (SJSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) def. Gaelle Rey (SJSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) def. Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Santa Shumilina (UNLV) def. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
5. Jessica Willett (SJSU) def. Kamelia Dimitrova (UNLV) 6-2, 6-4
6. Paola Artiga (UNLV) def. Tipper Truong (SJSU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-1