SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The San José State University women's tennis team recorded its second win in as many days Friday, knocking off UNLV by a 6-1 tally at Spartan Courts.
The 55th-ranked Spartans won their third consecutive match to advance to 11-6 on the season and 2-1 in Mountain West play. The Rebels fell to 6-13 on the spring and 1-1 in conference.
The Spartans got off to an inauspicious start, dropping the doubles point to the visiting Rebels. Sybille Gauvain and Malin Cubukcu collected a 6-4 win at No. 2 doubles to force the point to be decided at No. 1, but UNLV's Anett Ferenczi-Bako and Mercedes Lopez Velez outlasted Marie Klocker and Gaelle Rey for a 6-4 victory.
San José State responded with a sweep in singles action to claim the 6-1 win. Gauvain got it started with a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 1, then Pahz and Klocker followed up with straight-set wins of their own at No. 6 and No. 2, respectively.
Julianna Bacelar, Rey and Cubukcu put the exclamation mark on the Spartans' impressive performance with three-set victories to reach the final 6-1 margin.
"We keep on playing well and we're still getting better. We are definitely excited to be undefeated at home," said Spartans' head coach Sylvain Malroux. "We beat two very good teams the last two days, and today we showed that even after losing the doubles point, we can come back and play some really good matches. That's the sign of a good team."
San José State closes out its home slate on Sunday, April 12 when it hosts Academy of Art at 1:00 p.m.
#55 San Jose State 6, UNLV 1
Spartan Courts (San Jose, Calif.)
Friday, April 3, 2015
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
- Ferenczi-Bako/Lopez Velez (UNLV) def. Klocker/Rey (SJSU): 6-4
- Gauvain/Cubukcu (SJSU) def. Shumilina/Artiga (UNLV): 6-4
- Kotseva/Garrett (UNLV) def. Bacelar/Pahz (SJSU): 7-5
Order of finish: 1, 6, 2, 5, 3, 4
- Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) def. Santa Shumilina (UNLV): 6-0, 6-0
- Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV): 7-5, 6-1
- Gaelle Rey (SJSU) def. Iren Kotseva (UNLV): 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
- Malin Cubukcu (SJSU) def. Paola Artiga (UNLV): 6-0, 4-6, 7-6
- Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Mercedes Lopez Velez (UNLV): 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
- Abbie Pahz (SJSU) def. Bojana Petrovic (UNLV): 6-0, 6-2