SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San José State's women's tennis team made quick work of a ranked opponent for the second time in as many matches, topping No. 68 Hawai'i, 4-0, Thursday afternoon at Spartan Courts.
No. 55 San José State hit doubles digit wins on the season, moving to 10-6 overall, while No. 68 Hawai'i dropped under .500 at 8-9 this spring.
The Spartans got on the board with 7-5 victories at the top two doubles spots to capture the doubles point.
In singles play, San José State got straight-set wins from Gaelle Rey at No. 3, Julianna Bacelar at No. 5 and Abbie Pahz at No. 6 to wrap up the shutout win.
Sybille Gauvain held a 6-2, 4-6, 3-1 lead over No. 85 Cindy Nguyen when her match was suspended. Nguyen entered Thursday with a 12-4 record at the top spot in the Rainbow Wahine lineup.
Marie Klocker was also deadlocked in a tiebreaker set at No. 2 when hers was stopped, and Malin Cubukcu was in the midst of trying to force a third set at No. 4.
The Spartans return to the court tomorrow morning at 11 a.m. to host UNLV (6-12, 1-0 MW) in conference action.
#55 San Jose State 4, #68 Hawai'i 0
Spartan Courts (San Jose, Calif.)
Thursday, April 2, 2015
- Klocker/Rey (SJSU) def. Petriskova/Kostalova (UH): 7-5
- Gauvain/Cubukcu (SJSU) def. Nguyen/Faltusz (UH): 7-5
- Malova/Pribylova (UH) def. Bacelar/Pahz (SJSU): 6-1
- Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) vs. #86 Cindy Nguyen (UH): DNF
- Marie Klocker (SJSU) vs. Viktoria Malova (UH): DNF
- Gaelle Rey (SJSU) def. Martina Kostalova (UH): 6-2, 6-0
- Malin Cubukcu (SJSU) vs. Paulina Petriskova (UH): DNF
- Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Sarah Gealer (UH): 6-4, 6-1
- Abbie Pahz (SJSU) def. Rebecca Faltusz (UH): 6-2, 6-1