DALLAS – San José State’s women’s tennis team kicked off its five-match road swing with a 5-2 win over SMU on Monday evening at SMU Tennis Complex.
With the win, the Spartans improved to 8-5 on the season and recorded their first road victory since the first week of February. SMU suffered just its second loss in 11 home matches this spring and fell to 9-8 on the campaign.
After dropping the first doubles match, Sybille Gauvain and Marine Dans pulled out a 6-4 win at No. 2. Marie Klocker and Gaelle Rey then pulled off a 7-6 upset of Vaszilisza Bulgakova and Hristina Dishkova, the 52nd-ranked doubles tandem in the country, to capture the doubles point. The loss was just the third of the spring for the Mustangs duo, which fell to 9-3.
The Mustangs rallied back with a pair of early singles wins to take a 2-1 lead. After Klocker pulled the Spartans even with a straight-set win at No. 2, Miyo Kobayashi wrapped up her team-best 10th singles win and Sybille Gauvain upended Dishkova, who entered the match with a 10-2 mark. Rey capped off the 5-2 win with a three-set victory at No. 3.
"Today was a good team win on the road. We started slow in doubles but Marine and Sybille won to set up Marie and Gaelle saved four match points to come back and win," said head coach Chad Skorupka. "We started better in singles and Sybille clinched the match with a second-set tie-break."
San José State returns to the courts Tuesday evening in a showdown with No. 30 TCU at 5:30 p.m. CT/3:30 p.m. PT.
San José State 5, SMU 2
SMU Tennis Complex (Dallas, Texas)
Monday, March 28, 2016
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Gaelle Rey/Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. Vaszilisza Bulgakova/Hristina Dishkova (SMU): 7-6
2. Sybille Gauvain/Marine Dans (SJSU) def. Mary Wright (SMU): 6-4
3. Macie Elliott/Ana Perez-Lopez (SMU) def. Miyo Kobayashi/Justine Deleval (SJSU): 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 2, 5, 1, 3
1. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) def. Hristina Dishkova (SMU): 6-1, 7-6
2. Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. Dasha Sharapova (SMU): 6-2, 6-2
3. Gaelle Rey (SJSU) def. Yana Erkeeva (SMU): 6-4, 3-6, 10-1
4. Vaszilisza Bulgakova (SMU) def. Marine Dans (SJSU): 6-0, 6-1
5. Miyo Kobayashi (SJSU) def. Mary Wright (SMU): 6-3, 6-3
6. Ana Perez-Lopez (SMU) def. Justine Deleval (SJSU): 6-2, 6-2