SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San José State's 59th-ranked women's tennis team picked up its first Mountain West win in convincing fashion, downing No. 72 San Diego State, 6-1, Friday afternoon at Spartan Courts.
Today was a great win for our program against a good ranked team," said Spartans' head coach Sylvain Malroux. "They played well with great energy and it is exciting to see this. They work really hard and it is well deserved to see them successful."
San José State (9-6, 0-1 MW) got off to a quick start against San Diego State (8-9, 0-1 MW), sweeping doubles play with 7-5, 6-2 and 7-5 wins.
In singles action, the Spartans swapped Julianna Bacelar and Malin Cubukcu in the lineup and produced favorable results, as each defeated her Aztec counterpart. Cubukcu dropped the first set to Hailey Johnson, 2-6, but rebounded to take the next two, 6-2 and 10-5.
Sybille Gauvain and Marie Klocker picked up straight-set wins at the top of the lineup, and Abbie Pahz rounded out San José State's impressive day with a straight-set win of her own at No. 6.
The Spartans are back in action next Thursday and Friday when Hawai'i and UNLV come to town on back-to-back days. Match time for San José State's showdown with the Rebels is set for 11:00 a.m.
#59 San José State 6, #72 San Diego State 1
Spartan Courts (San Jose, Calif.)
Friday, March 27, 2015
- Klocker/Rey (SJSU) def. K.Buth/Hoorn (SDSU): 7-5
- Cubukcu/Guavain (SJSU) def. Johnson/Davis (SDSU): 6-2
- Bacelar/Pahz (SJSU) def. Somarocz/Diaz de Regules (SDSU): 7-5
- Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) def. Kristin Buth (SDSU): 6-2, 6-2
- Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. Tami Nguyen (SDSU): 6-1, 6-2
- Kennedy Davis (SDSU) def. Gaelle Rey (SJSU): 6-2, 7-6
- Malin Cubukcu (SJSU) def. Hailey Johnson (SDSU): 2-6, 6-2, 10-5
- Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Paola Diaz de Regules (SDSU): 7-5, 6-2
- Abbie Pahz (SJSU) def. Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU): 6-3, 6-1