SAN JOSE, Calif. – San José State’s women’s tennis team fell to a red-hot UC Santa Barbara team by a score of 5-2 Wednesday afternoon at Spartan Courts.
With the win, the Gauchos moved their season record to 8-6, and have now won seven of their last nine matches. The Spartans fell to 7-5 on the campaign.
UCSB’s 11th-ranked doubles team of Palina Dubavets and Stefani Stojic looked every bit the part as they downed Gaelle Rey and Marie Klocker by a score of 6-2. Sybille Gauvain and Marine Dans were deadlocked with their counterparts at 4-4 when the Gauchos grabbed a 6-3 win at No. 3 to clinch the doubles point.
In singles, Miyo Kobayshi improved her team-best record to 9-2 on the spring with her 6-1, 6-4 win over Jaimee Gilberston at No. 5. Marine Dans moved into a tie for second on the team with seven wins with a three-set triumph at No. 4.
Wednesday’s match concluded a six-match homestand for the Spartans. They travel to face SMU, TCU, UNLV and San Diego State next week.
#69 UC Santa Barbara 5, San José State 2
Spartan Courts (San Jose, Calif.)
Wednesday, March 23, 2016
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. #11 Stefani Stoijic/Palina Dubavets (UCSB) def. Gaelle Rey/Marie Klocker (SJSU): 6-2
2. Sybille Gauvain/Marine Dans (SJSU) vs. Melissa Baker/Stephanie Yamada (UCSB): 4-4, DNF
3. Amanda Atanasson/Lou Adler (UCSB) def. Miyo Kobayashi/Justine Deleval (SJSU): 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 3, 1, 2, 4
1. Lou Adler (UCSB) def. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU): 6-2, 6-3
2. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) def. Marie Klocker (SJSU): 4-6, 7-6, 10-6
3. Stefani Stojic (UCSB) def. Gaelle Rey (SJSU): 6-1, 7-5
4. Marine Dans (SJSU) def. Amanda Atanasson (UCSB): 7-6, 4-6, 10-6
5. Miyo Kobayashi (SJSU) def. Jaimee Gilberston (UCSB): 6-1, 6-4
6. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) def. Justine Deleval (SJSU): 6-4, 6-2