San Jose, Calif.----- Marie Klocker, Gaelle Rey and Marine Dans each won in singles and doubles for #73-ranked San Jose State University in a 4-3 win over the University of Idaho in a non-conference women's tennis match.
The Spartans (7-4) opened the match capturing the doubles point as Klocker and Rey shutout Idaho's Ana Batiri and Belen Barcenilla, 6-0. Dans teamed with Sybille Gauvain in an impressive 6-1 triumph over Rita Bermudez and Maria Tavares of the Vandals to raise their record as a doubles combo to 12-6. Bermudez and Tavares came into the match as Idaho's most successful doubles team with a 10-4 win-loss record.
San Jose State clinched the team victory finishing the first three singles matches with straight set wins by Klocker, over Batiri, 6-1, 6-0; Rey over Celine Koets, 6-0, 6-3; and Dans over Tavares 6-1, 6-3. Klocker's win raised her singles record to a team best 18-6.
Idaho's three points in the match came after Dans scored the clincher over Tavares. The Vandals (10-8) dropped their second match in a row.
San Jose State returns to action Wednesday, March 23, hosting UC Santa Barbara in a match rescheduled from March 5 due to wet grounds. First serve in doubles play at the Spartan Tennis Complex will be at 12:00 p.m. (PT).
San Jose State University women's tennis
Spartan Tennis Complex, San Jose, Calif.
March 20, 2016
Final Score -- San Jose State (SJSU) 4, Idaho (UI) 3
1. Gaelle Rey/Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. Ana Batiri/Belen Barcenilla (UI), 6-0.
2. Sybille Gauvain/Marine Dans (SJSU) def. Rita Bermudez/Maria Tavares (UI), 6-1.
3. Miyo Kobayashi/Justine Deleval (SJSU) def. Lucia Badillos/Marianna Petrei (UI), 2-4, unfinished.
Order of finish -- 1, 2.
1. Marianna Petrei (UI) def. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU), 6-4, 6-2.
2. Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. Ana Batiri (UI), 6-1, 6-0.
3. Gaelle Rey (SJSU) def. Celine Koets (UI), 6-0, 6-3.
4. Marine Dans (SJSU) def. Maria Tavares (UI), 6-1, 6-3.
5. Belen Barcenilla (UI) def. Miyo Kobayashi (SJSU), 6-4, 2-3, retired.
6. Lucia Badillos (UI) def. Justine Deleval (SJSU), 6-3, 6-2.
Order of finish -- 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1.
Team records - San Jose State (7-4), Idaho (10-8).