STOCKTON, Calif. - San José State's 60th-ranked women's tennis team knocked off a ranked opponent for the first time this spring Saturday, edging No. 71 Pacific 4-3 at Hal Nelson Tennis Courts.
With the win, the Spartans improved to 8-5 on the season and the Tigers fell to 7-5.
San José State got off to a good start in doubles play, as Sybille Gauvain and Abbie Pahz teamed up for a 6-1 victory over Regina Suarez and Antonella Santeusanio. The other two Spartans doubles teams took their counterparts down the wire before being edged in tiebreakers, however, and Pacific took the doubles point.
After Marie Klocker got San José State on the board with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 3 singles, Iveta Masaravoa put the Tigers back on top with a victory at No. 1.
UOP's Hana Ritterova won at No. 2 in straight sets to even things up with one match to go, however, leaving the match in the hands of the school's third-most accomplished player, Julianna Bacelar.
After losing the first set 5-7, Bacelar bounced back for 6-1 and 7-5 wins in the next two sets to seal her 121st career victory and the Spartans' 4-3 triumph over the Tigers.
Up next for the Spartans is another tough test, as they visit No. 24 Arizona State on Friday, March 20 at 11:00 a.m. MT.
#60 San José State 4, #71 Pacific 3
Hal Nelson Tennis Courts (Stockton, Calif.)
Saturday, March 15, 2015
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Masarova/Ritterova (PAC) def. Klocker/Rey (SJSU), 7-6 (6)
2. Gauvain/Pahz (SJSU) def.Suarez/Santeusanio (PAC) 6-1
3. Boncheva/Ferrari (PAC) def. Cubukcu/Bacelar (SJSU), 7-6 (5)
Order of finish: 3, 2, 5, 6, 1, 4
1. Iveta Masarova(PAC) def. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Hana Ritterova (PAC) def. Gaelle Rey (SJSU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Marie Klocker (SJSU) def.Christiana Ferrari(PAC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def.Francis Dean(PAC) 5-7, 6-1, 7-5
5. Malin Cubukcu (SJSU) def.Gergana Boncheva(PAC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Abbie Pahz (SJSU) def. Antonella Santeusanio (PAC) 6-0, 7-6 (4)