SAN DIEGO - San José State's women's tennis team won its third straight match in convincing fashion Saturday afternoon, topping the University of San Diego 6-1 at Hogan Tennis Center.
Due to the possibility of inclement weather, the match began with singles play.
In doubles action, the Spartans took the doubles point from the Toreros behind wins from Sybille Gauvain and Abbie Pahz and Jessica Willett and Julianna Bacelar. The loss marked just the second time this season the Toreros have lost the doubles point.
"We showed great confidence today when we had to close the match," said head coach Sylvain Malroux. "They are improving and they have been working hard to achieve our goals. We're certainly moving in the right direction and we are very happy with their efforts."
The Spartans play their first home match since Jan. 31 when Southern Utah visits Spartan Courts on Tuesday, March 10 at 1:00 p.m.
San José State 6, San Diego 1
Hogan Tennis Center (San Diego, Calif.)
Saturday, Feb. 28, 2015
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 1, 3, 2, 4
1. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) def. Marta Stojanovic (USD) 6-2, 6-2
2. Gaelle Rey (SJSU) def. Dana Oppinger (USD) 7-5, 7-5
3. Drew Spinosa (USD) def. Marie Klocker (SJSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Shani Blecher (USD) 7-6, 6-4
5. Malin Cubukcu (SJSU) def. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) 6-1, 6-1
6. Abbie Pahz (SJSU) def. Janine Koleta (USD) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Dana Oppinger/Drew Spinosa (USD) def. Gaelle Rey/Marie Klocker (SJSU) 6-2
2. Sybille Gauvain/Abbie Pahz (SJSU) def. Shani Blecher/Marta Stojanovic (USD) 6-4
3. Jessica Willett/Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Mikayla Morkel-Brink/Carly Naslund (USD) 6-0