SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – San José State’s women’s tennis team capped off its weekend in Southern California by defeating Cal Poly 4-1 Sunday afternoon at Mustang Courts.
With the win, the Spartans move to 5-4 on the season while the Mustangs fall to 1-5.
Marie Klocker and Gaelle Rey started the day with an 8-5 doubles victory over Emily Gibbens and Hannah Stone, and Julianna Bacelar and Malin Cubukcu followed up with an 8-5 win of their own to capture the doubles point.
At No. 1 singles, Sybille Gauvain defeated Louise Oxnevad 6-1, 6-3, for her second win of the weekend.
For Cubukcu, the win was her seventh consecutive singles victory and moved her to record to 7-2 on the spring.
“It was another great day for us. We did a fantastic job of carrying over the momentum from yesterday,” said head coach Sylvain Malroux. “Energy, positivity and aggressive play were some of the keys to our success. We are very happy of where we are at this point in the season.”
San José State closes out its six-match road when it visits San Diego on Saturday, Feb. 28 at 10:00 a.m.
San José State 4, Cal Poly 1
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
Sunday, Feb. 15, 2015
1. Klocker/Rey (SJSU) def. Gibbens/Stone (CP): 8-5
2. Oxnevad/Joubert (CP) vs. Gauvain/Pahz (SJSU): 7-4, unfinished
3. Bacelar/Cubukcu (SJSU) def. Reed/Tsugai (CP): 8-5
1. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) def. Louise Oxnevad (CP): 6-1, 6-3
2. Emily Gibbens (CP) def. Marie Klocker (SJSU): 6-2, 6-1
3. Gaelle Rey (SJSU) def. Hannah Stone (CP): 6-2, 6-1
4. Molly Reed (CP) vs. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU): 6-0, 5-3, unfinished
5. Malin Cubukcu (SJSU) def. Danè Joubert (CP): 6-0, 6-3
6. Sayaka Tsugai (CP) vs. Jessica Willett (SJSU): 6-4, 3-5, unfinished