SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – San José State’s women’s tennis team got back in the win column Saturday morning, snapping a two-match skid with a convincing 6-1 road victory over UC Santa Barbara.
With the win, the Spartans move back to .500 at 4-4 on the season. For the Gauchos (3-3), the loss was their first at home on the spring and broke a two-match win streak.
“Our players did an incredible job today. We came back from two tough indoor matches, and today the conditions were very different,” said head coach Sylvain Malroux. “Our team was very aggressive, very positive and did a good job stepping up against a strong team.”
After UCSB got on the board with Natalie Da Silveira’s win at the No. 2 spot, Klocker, Cubukcu and Bacelar closed out with wins of their own to seal the 6-1 victory.
The Spartans conclude their Southern California road trip on Sunday when they visit Cal Poly at 2:00 p.m.
San José State 6, UC Santa Barbara 1
Robertson Gym Courts (Santa Barbara, Calif.)
Saturday, Feb. 14, 2015
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. Marie Klocker/Gaelle Rey (SJSU) def. April Scatliffe/Luisa Ortiz Candido (UCSB): 6-3
2. Sybille Gauvain/Abbie Pahz (SJSU) vs. Jaimee Gilbertson/Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) Unfinished
3. Julianna Bacelar/Malin Cubukcu (SJSU) def. Stacy Yam/Priscila Garcia (UCSB): 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 2, 3, 5, 4
1. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) def. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB): 7-5, 6-3
2. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) def. Gaelle Rey (SJSU): 6-4, 6-3
3. Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB): 7-5, 6-2
4. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Melissa Baker (UCSB): 7-6 (7-2), 6-1
5. Malin Cubukcu (SJSU) def. Stacy Yam (UCSB): 6-4, 6-2
6. Abbie Pahz (SJSU) def. Priscila Garcia (UCSB): 6-0, 6-1