SAN JOSE, Calif. – San José State’s women’s tennis team defeated a local foe for the second time in as many days with Saturday’s 6-1 win over Santa Clara in its home opener.
The Spartans (3-0, 0-0 MW) won their eighth consecutive home match after going 6-0 at home last season, and haven’t lost at Spartan Courts since April 2014.
Saturday, Santa Clara (2-2, 0-0 WCC) saw 73rd-ranked San José State give it all it could handle after the Broncos took the first doubles set. The Spartans captured the doubles point for the first time this season thanks to wins by the tandems of Gaelle Rey and Marie Klocker (No. 1) and Miyo Kobayashi and Justine Deleval (No. 3).
It was all San José State from that point forward. Aside from Marine Dans conceding a point at No. 4 singles, the Spartans were dominant, rattling off three consecutive wins to start the singles period and finishing strong with a pair of wins in the final two matches. Sybille Gauvain, Klocker and Kobayashi handled their Bronco foes in straight sets, while Deleval and Rey went the distance.
“This was a great way to close out the weekend for this team,” said San José State head coach Chad Skorupka. “Everyone contributed in this victory. Getting our first doubles point of the season was big for us heading into singles play.”
Sacramento State visits Spartan Courts on Saturday, Feb. 13, before the Spartans embark on a road trip to No. 64 Arizona and No. 27 Arizona State.
#73 San José State 6, Santa Clara 1
Spartan Courts (San Jose, Calif.)
Saturday, Feb. 6, 2016
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Gaelle Rey/Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. Nabilah Farah/Daniella Silva (SCU): 6-4
2. Madison Clarke/Chelby Cooke (SCU) def. Sybille Gauvain/Marine Dans (SJSU): 6-1
3. Miyo Kobayashi/Justine Deleval (SJSU) def. Delphine Rouvillois/Zeina El Tawil (SCU): 6-1
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 2, 4, 6, 3
1. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) def. Chelby Cooke (SCU): 6-1, 6-2
2. #90 Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. Madison Clarke (SCU): 6-1, 6-2
3. Gaelle Rey (SJSU) def. Nabila Farah (SCU): 7-6, 3-6, 7-6
4. Daniella Silva (SCU) def. Marine Dans (SJSU): 4-6, 3-0, ret. (inj.)
5. Miyo Kobayashi (SJSU) def. Elizabeth Stephens (SCU): 6-2, 6-0
6. Justine Deleval (SJSU) def. Giannina Ong (USF): 2-6, 6-3, 10-5