SAN FRANCISCO – San José State’s women’s tennis team parlayed a strong singles effort into its second win of the season, downing the University of San Francisco by a 5-2 tally Friday afternoon at the Olympic Club.
No. 73 San José State (2-0, 0-0 MW) started slow and dropped the doubles point for a second consecutive outing, but rebounded nicely to keep the Dons (0-5, 0-0 WCC) from notching their first win of the season.
The Spartans faced a 2-1 deficit after Miyo Kobayashi downed Shanna Dos Santos in straight sets at No. 5 singles and USF’s Andrea Ka edged Sybille Gauvain in three sets. The remaining four singles matches were just as close, with all four going way of the Spartans. Gaelle Rey (No. 3), Marie Klocker (No. 2), Marine Dans (No. 4) and Justine Deleval (No. 6) rattled off four consecutive three-set wins to seal the victory.
“Another good effort after we lost the doubles point for the second straight match,” said Spartans head coach Chad Skorupka. “The only singles match that went two sets was Miyo winning at No. 5. Marie at No. 2 was down a match point in the third set tiebreak before winning 8-6. Her winning that match enabled Marine to clinch the match for us.”
“Marine really came through big for us today, she has been battling the flu this week and she really played well in her third set. Gaelle and Justine had big wins after losing their first sets."
The Spartans face another local foe in their home opener Saturday afternoon at 11:00 a.m., when they host Santa Clara.
#73 San José State 5, San Francisco 2
Olympic Club (San Francisco)
Friday, Feb. 5, 2016
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Andrea Ka/Thyra Taune def. Gaelle Rey/Marie Klocker (SJSU): 6-2
2. Sybille Gauvain/Marine Dans (SJSU) def. Genevieve McCloskey (USF): 6-2
3. Shanna Dos Santos/Sofia Holmberg (USF) def. Miyo Kobayashi/Justine Deleval (SJSU): 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 3, 2, 4, 6
1. #101 Andrea Ka (USF) def. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU): 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
2. #90 Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. Thyra Taune (USF): 1-6, 6-0, 7-6
3. Gaelle Rey (SJSU) def. Hanna Borjeson (USF): 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
4. Marine Dans (SJSU) def. Genevieve McCloskey (USF): 7-6, 4-6, 6-1
5. Miyo Kobayashi (SJSU) def. Shanna Dos Santos (USF): 6-2, 6-4
6. Justine Deleval (SJSU) def. Jiayu Mu (USF): 6-2, 5-7, 7-6