SANTA CLARA, Calif. – San José State’s women’s tennis team used dominant singles play to coast to a 4-1 victory at Santa Clara on Sunday. The win marked the second time in as many days that the Spartans knocked off a local opponent after defeating San Francisco 4-3 on Saturday.
The Spartans (3-2) found themselves in an early 1-0 deficit after dropping the doubles point. Unlike the previous two times San José State lost the doubles point this season, the Spartans were able to rebound and overcome the Broncos (1-2) early lead.
For Pahz, the win was her third since moving to the No. 5 singles position after the Tulsa match.
The Spartans will embark on a road trip to the Midwest for the second time this season when they visit Illinois and DePaul next Saturday and Sunday, respectively.
San José State 4, Santa Clara 1
Degheri Tennis Center (Santa Clara, Calif.)
Sunday, Feb. 1
1. Farah/Silva (SCU) def. Bacelar/Klocker (SJSU): 6-2
2. Cooke/Rouvillois (SCU) def. Gauvain/Rey (SJSU): 6-2
3. Cubukcu/Willett (SJSU) def. El Tawil/Morgan (SCU): 6-1
1. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) vs. Delphine Rouvillois (SCU): DNF
2. Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. Chelby Cooke (SCU): 6-1, 6-4
3. Gaelle Rey (SJSU) vs. Nabila Farah (SCU): DNF
4. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Daniella Silva (SCU): 6-2, 6-0
5. Abbie Pahz (SJSU) def. Zeina El Tawil (SCU): 6-0, 6-0
6. Malin Cubukcu (SJSU) def. Danielle Zinn (SCU): 6-0, 6-0