SAN JOSE, Calif. – The San José State University women’s tennis team knocked off the University of San Francisco with a 4-3 win at Spartan Courts on Saturday afternoon.
In singles play, San José State got wins from sophomore Marie Klocker and freshmen Abbie Pahz and Malin Cubukcu. For Pahz, the victory put her at 2-0 out of the No. 5 singles slot after playing in the No. 4 spot in the first two matches of the season.
Sybille Gauvain, the third freshman in the Spartans lineup, took No. 49 Andrea Ka to three sets before falling 6-3, 2-6, 10-6 at No. 1 the top singles spot.
San José State faces a quick turnaround as they travel to Santa Clara for a matchup with the 2-0 Broncos on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.
San José State 4, San Francisco 3
Spartan Courts (San Jose, Calif.)
Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015
1. Ka/Nikolic (USF) def. Gauvain/Rey (SJSU): 6-2
2. Bacelar/Klocker (SJSU) def. Hadzi-Tanovic/Teixeira (USF): 6-1
3. Cubukcu/Willett (SJSU) def. McCloskey/Taune (USF): 6-3
1. #49 Andrea Ka (USF) def. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU): 6-3, 2-6, 10-6
2. Thyra Taune (USF) def. Gaelle Rey (SJSU): 5-7, 6-4, 10-6
3. Marie Klocker (SJSU) def. Marina Nikolic (USF): 6-1, 6-4
4. Milica Hadzi-Tanovic (USF) def. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU): 7-5, 6-4
5. Abbie Pahz (SJSU) def. Genevieve McCloskey (USF): 6-3, 6-3
6. Malin Cubukcu (SJSU) def. Ines Teixeira (USF): 6-1, 6-2