TULSA, Okla. – For the second time in as many days, San José State’s women’s tennis team fell to a ranked opponent, with Sunday’s 7-0 loss coming at the hands of No. 27 Tulsa.
Malin Cubukcu nearly pulled off her first dual match win of her Spartans career, taking the first set against Renata Kuricova, 6-1, before dropping the next two to cede the singles point.
“It was a challenging opening weekend playing two very good teams,” said head coach Sylvain Malroux. “This was a great experience for our young team, and it will help us for the rest of the season.”
The Spartans will return to the court on Saturday, Jan. 24 when they travel to face Sacramento State at 12:00 p.m.
#27 Tulsa 7, San Jose State 0
Case Center (Tulsa, Okla.)
Sunday, Jan. 18, 2015
1. Gauvain/Rey (SJS) def. Kuricova/Saarteinen (TLS): 6-3
2. Cichon/Dadireddy (TLS) def. Klocker/Pahz (SJS): 6-0
3. Nemchen/Laskutova (TLS) def. Bacelar/Cubukcu: 7-5
1. Ksenia Laskutova (TLS) def. Sybille Gauvain (SJS): 6-4, 7-5
2. Dobby Leenbanchong (TLS) def. Marie Klocker (SJS): 6-1, 6-4
3. Yelena Nemchen (TLS) def. Gaelle Rey (SJS): 6-1, 6-1
4. #70 Marcelina Cichon (TLS) def. Abbie Pahz (SJS): 6-1, 6-1
5. Saana Saarteinen (TLS) def. Julianna Bacelar (SJS): 6-0, 6-0
6. Renata Kuricova (TLS) def. Malin Cubukcu (SJS): 1-6, 6-2 (10-6)