Hannah Tringham is a junior on the 2008-09 San Jose State swimming and diving team. The Cameron Park, Calif., native swims mostly butterfly, individual medley and middle-distance freestyle events. She is majoring in interior design.
Hannah was kind enough to take some time away from studying for final exams, and is our latest guest for our occasional website mini-feature, Swimming & Diving Q&A.
1. Who are some of your favorite musical artists? What’s the current ringtone on your cell?
My all-time favorite band is Taking Back Sunday, but I am currently slightly obsessed with Lil Wayne. I mostly enjoy hip hop, reggae and punk. My ringtone right now is Paper Planes by M.I.A.
2. Any favorite movies or television shows? Can you think of a favorite holiday movie?
I don’t watch TV very often, but I love the show Entourage, and of course, Friends. My favorite holiday movie is definitely It’s a Wonderful Life. I always watch it with my sisters around the holidays.
3. What are some of your favorite foods? Do you have a favorite restaurant in the area?
I love Italian and Mexican food. My friends and I always end up eating at Iguana’s or Pizza My Heart. They’re just so good!
4. Do you have any plans for the holidays?
Once practice is over on the 20th, I am headed back to Sacramento for a few days, to visit friends. Then I am going down to Orange County to be with relatives and family for Christmas. We start practice again on the 29th, so I am excited to spend New Year’s Eve with my teammates and friends here in San Jose.
5. Can you think of a favorite holiday gift you have received? How about a best gift that you have given to someone else?
My two favorite gifts were both for Christmas, my wakeboard and my digital camera. I couldn’t live without them. I think one of the best gifts I’ve given was the Betsey Johnson necklace for Ally Jack’s birthday.
6. Do you have a favorite place to go in the Bay Area during the holiday season?
CHRISTMAS IN THE PARK! I go every year with the same group of friends. It’s always a good time.
7. What is your favorite place you have visited? Is there a place in particular you would like to go some day?
Marbella, Spain, is the most beautiful place I’ve ever been! There or Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia. I love traveling, and the next destinations on my list of places to go are England and Scotland.
8. If you could be someone else for a day, who would it be?
I couldn’t think of anyone...I like being who I am.
9. If you could have dinner with any three people in history, who would they be?
Jesus Christ, Marilyn Monroe and Gandhi. That would an interesting dinner...
10. The team heads into the new year with a 9-1 record in dual meets and coming off an incredibly successful fall portion of the season in general. As a junior veteran, talk a little bit about how much confidence this team has going into January, and what you hope to accomplish both personally and as a team through the Western Athletic Conference Championship in February.
The team has been incredible this year. We are a really close group of girls and we have so much fun that I think we are unstoppable! The leadership that has come from the younger girls this year is really keeping the team together and focused on our goal, which is to win WAC. The highest we have ever placed at WAC is fourth, but this year is different. We have been ranked first in the WAC all fall, and I don’t think anything is going to change. We have been training so well all season. I know we are ready to swim faster than ever. Personally, my goal is to be in the top four at WAC in the 200-yard butterfly. I have been swimming well in that race all year, and I can’t wait to swim it in San Antonio in February.
2008-09 Swimming & Diving Q&A Guests
October 1 - Ashley Ladd, Sophomore
October 8 - Kirsten Trammell, Sophomore
October 30 - Rudie Guerrero, Sophomore
November 5 - Tomi Petty, Freshman
November 27 - Julie Wynn, Sophomore
December 5 - Daphne Yeung, Sophomore
December 13 - Hannah Tringham, Junior