Long Beach, Calif. – Darcie Anderson and Marisa DeWames set school records, achieved NCAA Consideration Qualifying times and San Jose State finished in seventh place in the team competition on the final day of the Arena Invitational at the Belmont Plaza Olympic Pool on Saturday.
“This was a tremendous team effort and great performance by the entire squad,” head coach Sage Hopkins said. “We haven’t sorted through all the stats yet, but this was probably one of the top team performances in San Jose State history.”
Anderson, who swam a B-Cut times as a member of the Spartans 400 medley relay on Thursday and in the 100 breaststroke on Friday, finished the 200 breaststroke in 2:16.06 today. It is the fastest time in San Jose State history and placed her in eighth in the race and below the B-Cut time.
DeWames was in a swimoff for eighth place in the 100 freestyle prelims. She she produced a 49.64, shattering the school record and getting her B-Cut time.
In the first race of the night Amy Friedhoff posted the sixth fastest and Caitlin Lipton the 10th fastest 1650 freestyle in school history. It was the first 1650 freestyle race of the year for SJSU, so Friedhoff, Lipton, Megan Mills and Ashley Krisman all set season bests.
Rudie Guerrero finished the 200 backstroke just 1/100th of a second from her best time of the year. Her 2:05.90 was the seventh quickest in school history. Briana Swinney’s 2:07.28 slots her in to 10th place on the program's all-time list and placed her 46th in the race.
The Spartans had 12 athletes competing in the 100 freestyle final. DeWames was SJSU’s top finisher with a 51.27, good for 15th place. It was the seventh fastest time in school history. Kiley Foster’s 51.16 is the sixth quickest all-time as she finished in 20th place.
The 200 butterfly saw Heather Denman, Guerrero, Ashlyn Acosta and Karly Brown all set season bests. Denman had the best finish for the Spartans, 14th place in a time of 2:02.94.
The 400 freestyle relay, the final event of the meet, saw SJSU finish in a time of 3:26.43. It was the fastest time of the year and the fifth fastest in school history.
With its eighth place team finish San Jose State was the highest placed team among three Western Athletic Conference squads competing. Hawai’i was 13th and Fresno State 15th out of 20 teams.
“We are really please to be up there and competing with teams that a few years ago were cleaning our clocks,” Hopkins said. “To be so close to a team like Oregon State and ahead of BYU shows how much we have improved as a team.”
In Tucson, Ariz. Spartan divers Jessica Holden and Amy Kilby competed in the Third Annual Wildcat Diving Invitational on Saturday.
Holden and Kilby participated in prelims of the one-meter springboard event, scoring a 239.35 and 222.90 respectively. Holden placed 17th and Kilby 29th out of 70 competitors. Both marks are among the programs top-10 all-time. The top eight divers advanced to the finals.
The event wraps up on Sunday.
Day Three Results (Winners plus San Jose State competitors)
1. Kelsey Ditto (Stanford) 16:08.34. 19. Amy Friedhoff (SJSU) 17:16.64. 26. Caitlin Lipton (SJSU) 17:32.78. 29. Megan Mills (SJSU) 17:38.96. 43. Ashley Krisman (SJSU) 17:58.11.
1. Maya Dirado (Stanford) 1:52.04. 36. Rudie Guerrero (SJSU) 2:05.90. 46. Briana Swinney (SJSU) 2:07.28. 53. Kristin Yamaguchi (SJSU) 2:08.03. Amy Friedhoff (SJSU) 2:06.71.
1. Kate Dwelley (Stanford) 48:58. 15. Marisa DeWames (SJSU) 51.27. 20. Kiley Foster (SJSU) 51.16. 23. Erika Harvey (SJSU) 51.53. 38. Elana Faria (SJSU) 52.00. 57. Taylor Stoddard (SJSU) 52.70. 72. Julia Koch (SJSU) 53.08. 79. Brittney Boyd (SJSU) 53.44. 85. Julie Wynn (SJSU) 53.59. 86. Ashlyn Acosta (SJSU) 53.66. 92. Karly Brown (SJSU) 53.85. 97. Kristin Yamaguchi (SJSU) 54.04. 99 Danielle Smyth (SJSU) 54.07.
1. Liz Smith (Stanford) 2:09.41. 8. Darcie Anderson (SJSU) 2:16.06*. 35. Caitlin Macky (SJSU) 2:23.47. 48. Christina Bergis (SJSU) 2:26.06.
1. Andie Taylor (Stanford) 1:56.86. 14. Heather Denman (SJSU) 2:02.94. 26 Julia Craddock (SJSU) 2:04.81. 68. Rudie Guerrero (SJSU) 2:10.49. 75. Ashlyn Acosta (SJSU) 2:11.87. 82. Karly Brown (SJSU) 2:14.95.
400 Freestyle Relay
Stanford “A” 3:15.81. 12. San Jose State “A” (Erika Harvey, Marisa DeWames, Elana Faria, Kiley Foster) 3:26.43
*- NCAA B-Cut Qualifying Time