Long Beach, Calif. - Meghan McCurley came half a second from achieving an NCAA consideration qualifier in placing seventh in the 50 freestyle, and joined three other Spartans to post a fourth-place finish in the 200 freestyle relay to highlight the San Jose State University women's swim team's performance on day one of the 2009 Toshiba Classic, Presented by Business Copier Solutions, at the Belmont Plaza Olympic Pool on Thursday, November 19.
Under its new name, the former Speedo Cup and Nike Cup is being held at its usual location. It is hosted this year, however, by UC San Diego, with past host UC Irvine having dropped its men's and women's swim programs. The first five of 18 total events were held on Thursday. Team scoring will be available after Friday's activity.
The Spartans' 'A' foursome in the 200 free relay of juniors Daphne Yeung and McCurley, followed by freshmen Marisa DeWames and Kiley Foster, timed a season-best 1:34.10, the fourth-fastest time in school history, to open the evening finals portion. The relay topped the likes of Western Athletic Conference foe Hawai'i in sixth (1:34.27) and Pacific-10 Conference opponent UCLA in 11th (1:36.78). Stanford won the event in a meet-record 1:29.22, followed by California in a time of 1:31.13, also good enough to have broken the previous meet standard. BYU (1:33.72) was just ahead of the Spartans. Stanford and Cal's marks were NCAA 'B' cuts. Foster's anchor split of 22.92 seconds was fastest for San Jose State. McCurley went 22.98.
San Jose State's 'B' foursome of freshmen Elana Faria and Taylor Stoddard, junior Julie Wynn, and senior tri-captain Erin Garcia, went 1:37.08 for 31st-place. Wynn was fastest in 23.66.
In the 500 freestyle, Julia Koch was the top Spartan finisher in 23rd-place, swimming 5:02.13 at night after turning in a preliminary mark of 4:58.11, the junior's lifetime best by more than a second and a half. Freshman Caitlin Lipton (5:08.09, 42nd) and sophomore Megan Mills (5:08.99, 46th) timed season bests during morning prelims. Another freshman, Taylor Stoddard, went 5:09.45 (50th) in her first collegiate 500 race, while junior Ashley Krisman (5:12.45, 59th) swam her first 500 of the season. Stanford's Kelsey Ditto won easily by over three seconds ahead of teammate Kate Dwelley in another meet-record and consideration time (4:41.30).
The 200 individual medley saw junior Spartan tri-captain Kirsten Trammell place 15th in a finals time of 2:06.24, beating out conference rival Margaret Doolittle (2:06.41) of Nevada. She had swam a season-best 2:05.45 in the morning. Freshman teammate Julia Craddock was 23rd in 2:07.00, having gone a collegiate-best 2:06.63 in prelims, already putting her sixth all-time at San Jose State. Junior Caitlin Macky (season-best 2:07.09, 27th) made evening finals, while sophomore Kristin Yamaguchi (season-best 2:08.35, 42nd), Garcia (2:08.47, 44th), fellow senior tri-captain Hannah Tringham (2:09.55, 51st) and junior Ashley Ladd (2:17.86, 115th) competed in prelims. Stanford's Julia Smit won in 1:55.45, a new meet record and automatic NCAA Championships qualifier that bettered her own fastest time nationally this season.
McCurley sprinted 23.52 in prelims of the 50 free, tying her career best, which is the third-fastest on the school chart, but needing a 23.02 for the first individual consideration qualifier of her college career. She raced 23.57 in the championship final at night, out-touching Maura Barrett of Hawai'i by .16 seconds for seventh. Stanford's Betsy Webb posted a winning 'B' cut time of 22.37. DeWames (24.11, 24th) and Foster (24.09, 27th) competed in finals, with DeWames' prelim time of 23.87 tying Yeung for the seventh-fastest in program history. Yeung (24.18, 43rd), Faria (24.70, 82nd), Stoddard (24.94, 106th), Wynn (25.17, 116th), Lipton (25.39, 126th), Ladd (25.52, 134th), Danielle Smyth (25.62, 145th), Rudie Guerrero (25.75, 155th) and Megan Lomazzi (26.77, 184th) raced in the morning.
Stanford capped a perfect five-for-five night with a fourth meet-record, first-place effort, as it won the 400 medley relay in 3:38.06. The Spartan foursome of sophomore Heather Denman, last year's Most Outstanding Female Swimmer at the meet, Macky, Guerrero and McCurley, timed a season-best 3:46.54, the second-fastest mark ever at San Jose State, for fifth-place behind Stanford, Cal, San Diego State and UCLA.
The Spartan 'B' relay of Yamaguchi, Trammell, Craddock and Foster went 3:52.84 for 27th.
The 2009 Toshiba Classic continues on Friday, November 20, with seven more events: the 200 medley relay, 400 IM, 100 fly, 200 free, 100 breast, 100 back and 800 free relay. Prelims begin at 11:30 a.m. for the women, with finals at 6:00 p.m.
San Jose State at 2009 Toshiba Classic
November 19-21, 2009
Results (Winners plus all San Jose State competitors)
200 Freestyle Relay
1. Stanford 'A' (Kate Dwelley, Betsy Webb, Sam Woodward, Julia Smit), 1:29.22A; 4. San Jose State 'A' (Daphne Yeung, Meghan McCurley, Marisa DeWames, Kiley Foster), 1:34.10. 31; San Jose State 'B' (Elana Faria, Taylor Stoddard, Julie Wynn, Erin Garcia), 1:37.08.
1. Kelsey Ditto, STAN, 4:41.30B; 23. Julia Koch, SJSU, 5:02.13; 42. Caitlin Lipton, SJSU, 5:08.09; 46. Megan Mills, SJSU, 5:08.99; 50. Taylor Stoddard, SJSU, 5:09.45; 59. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 5:12.45.
200 Individual Medley
1. Julia Smit, STAN, 1:55.45A; 15. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:06.24; 23. Julia Craddock, SJSU, 2:07.00; 27. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:07.09; 42. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 2:08.35; 44. Erin Garcia, SJSU, 2:08.47; 51. Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 2:09.55; 115. Ashley Ladd, SJSU, 2:17.86.
1. Betsy Webb, STAN, 22.37B; 7. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 23.57; 24. Marisa DeWames, SJSU, 24.11; 27. Kiley Foster, SJSU, 24.09; 43. Daphne Yeung, 24.18; 82. Elana Faria, SJSU, 24.70; 106. Taylor Stoddard, SJSU, 24.94; 116. Julie Wynn, 25.17; 126. Caitlin Lipton, SJSU, 25.39; 134. Ashley Ladd, SJSU, 25.52; 145. Danielle Smyth, 25.62; 155. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 25.75; 184. Megan Lomazzi, SJSU, 26.77.
400 Medley Relay
1. Stanford 'A' (Betsy Webb, Liz Smith, Elaine Breeden, Kate Dwelley), 3:38.06B; 5. San Jose State 'A' (Heather Denman, Caitlin Macky, Rudie Guerrero, Meghan McCurley), 3:46.54; 27. San Jose State 'B' (Kristin Yamaguchi, Kirsten Trammell, Julia Craddock, Kiley Foster), 3:52.84.