Long Beach, Calif. - Brie Marhenke placed second in the 100 freestyle in a season-best time and Kirsten Trammell came within half a second of a school mark in the 200 breaststroke as the San Jose State University women’s swim team moved up from sixth into a final position of fifth in the 2007 UC Irvine/Nike Cup at the Belmont Plaza Olympic Pool on Saturday, November 17.
Marhenke’s finals time of 50.60 in the 100 was her fourth NCAA B’ mark of the three-day meet. She posted a time of 50.79 during morning prelims, getting under the NCAA’s consideration qualifier of 50.90 and earning a number-two seed for the evening behind UCLA’s Anna Poteete (50.26), the only other swimmer in the event to achieve an NCAA standard. Her finals time is just off her school-record mark of 50.30, and was just short of Poteete’s winning 50.40. A native of Carmichael, Calif., Marhenke had swam NCAA B’ cuts in both of her 50 freestyle races on Thursday, with identical times of 23.09.
This is Marhenke's third runner-up placement as a Spartan at the Nike Cup, formerly called Speedo Cup. She finished second in the 50 freestyle two days ago, as well as in 2005 in her first season at San Jose State following a transfer from Oregon State University.
Junior teammate and roommate Lauren Mar, shaved 1.14 off her season best heading into the day with a fifth-place effort of 51.99 in finals after sprinting 52.17 in the morning. Her finals time was just narrowly off her lifetime best of 51.62. Meghan McCurley was 16th in 53.65 after a season-best 52.92 in the morning. Fellow freshman Daphne Yeung raced 54.27 in prelims, a season best by .02 seconds. Junior Tarolyn Robertson timed 54.46 in her first 100 of the year. Freshman Julia Koch went 54.54 in her first collegiate 100 free race, while junior college transfer Joanna Torres improved almost two seconds on her season best at 54.63. Erin Garcia timed 54.82 in her first 100 free as a Spartan.
San Jose State, ranked 22nd in the season’s first installment of the CollegeSwimming.com Division I Mid-Major Poll, moved up from sixth to a final team placement of fifth following the 18th event on Saturday night with 558 points. UCLA won easily with 1498.5 points. The Spartans were also fifth a season ago, but improved on their point total this year from 547.
During morning prelims, Trammell, a freshman, turned in a time of 2:20.65 in the 200 breaststroke, the fifth-best time heading into evening finals and second all-time in the San Jose State record book. She then improved almost another second in placing fourth at night in 2:19.78, just .45 off Kiley Reinke’s school mark from 2003. Freshman teammate Caitlin Macky went 2:20.42, a season best by over three seconds, for ninth, and is now third all-time at SJSU.
Senior Amanda Carr timed 17:26.20 and placed 10th in her first 1650 freestyle race of the season. Freshman teammate Ashley Krisman went 18:02.68 (21st) in her first collegiate mile.
Katey Nelson went a season-best 2:06.99 in prelims of the 200 back before finishing 14th in 2:07.84 at night. Beste Erener was 24th in 2:12.45 after going a season-best 2:10.21 in prelims. Freshman Rudie Guerrero swam 2:13.63 in prelims in her first collegiate 200 backstroke race and 2:16.90 in prelims of the first 200 fly race of her career.
In the 200 fly, sophomore Hannah Tringham (2:05.16), senior Jillene Golez (2:07.65) and sophomore Ally Jack (2:09.49) were 10th, 18th and 26th, respectively, all in season-best times.
The Spartans return to San Jose early on Sunday, November 18, and are idle from competition until one final dual meet for the 2007 calendar year at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, Calif., on Saturday, December 8, at 12:00 p.m.
San Jose State at 2007 UCI/Nike Cup
November 15-17, 2007
Final Team Standings (Through 18 of 18 Events)
1. UCLA 1498.5
2. Brigham Young 887.5
3. Pacific 795
4. Rice 727
5. San Jose State 558
6. UC Irvine 523
7. UC San Diego 439
8. New Mexico 379.5
9. Pepperdine 310
10. Loyola Marymount 249
11. Air Force 223.5
12. San Diego 223
13. Cal State Northridge 195
14. UC Santa Cruz 184
15. Alaska 162.5
16. Cal Lutheran 118
17. Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 86
18. Fresno Pacific 68
19. Grand Canyon 56
20. Soka 22
20. La Verne 22
22. Occidental 14
Results (Winners plus all San Jose State competitors)
1. Brittany Massengale, Rice, 16:37.65. 10. Amanda Carr, SJSU, 17:26.20. 21. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 18:02.68.
1. Isabell Fischer, UCLA, 2:02.00. 14. Katey Nelson, SJSU, 2:07.84. 24. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:12.45. 39. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 2:13.63. 73. Jillian Cureton, SJSU, 2:19.03.
1. Anna Poteete, UCLA, 50.40. 2. Brie Marhenke, SJSU, 50.60. 5. Lauren Mar, SJSU, 51.99. 16. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 53.65. 47. Daphne Yeung, SJSU, 54.27. 52. Tarolyn Robertson, SJSU, 54.46. 54. Julia Koch, SJSU, 54.54. 56. Joanna Torres, SJSU, 54.63. 61. Erin Garcia, SJSU, 54.82. 73. Amanda Carr, SJSU, 55.23. 74. Sara Riley, SJSU, 55.31. 82. Ashley Ladd, SJSU, 55.64. 88. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 56.06. 90. Amanda Mikaelsson, SJSU, 56.18. 92. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 56.21.
1. Rosanna Delurgio, UNA, 2:15.68. 4. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:19.78. 9. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:20.42.
1. Lyndsay DePaul, UCI, 1:56.90. 10. Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 2:05.16. 18. Jillene Golez, SJSU, 2:07.65. 26. Ally Jack, SJSU, 2:09.49. 52. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 2:16.90.
400 Free Relay
1. UCLA (Anna Poteete, Kelly Colligan, Emily Bibb, Ashley Anlauf), 3:25.68. 24. San Jose State (Tarolyn Robertson, Erin Garcia, Julia Koch, Joanna Torres), 3:37.35.