San Jose, Calif. - The San Jose State University women’s swimming and diving team won 13 of 16 events, with seven individual victories coming from a trio of true freshmen, in topping Western Athletic Conference foe Boise State University, 197-102, in its home opener at The Aquatics Center on campus on Saturday, November 1.
With its eighth straight win following a season-opening loss at powerhouse Stanford, San Jose State improves its dual meet record to 8-1. Boise State, in just its third competitive season as a women’s swimming and diving program, falls to 2-7.
Heather Denman, out of Brookeville, Md., won the 100 backstroke (56.18), followed by the 100 fly (56.70) and 200 individual medley (2:07.38). Amy Friedhoff, from Federal Way, Wash., swept the distance freestyle events, winning the 1000 in 10:19.95, and the 500 in 5:04.88.
Denman’s 100 fly mark was a lifetime best, and puts her at fifth in the school record book. Her 200 IM time was almost three seconds faster than her previous best, and is also fifth all-time at San Jose State. Friedhoff’s 1000 time was an incredible 10 seconds faster than her previous best, and moves her up from seventh to fourth on the all-time school list.
Jessica Holden, a native of Fair Oaks, Calif., had swept the two diving events held at the Haas Family Diving Facility at Stanford’s Avery Aquatic Center on Friday night, October 31. Holden won on the one-meter board with a score of 222.00, and on the three-meter board with a score of 240.00. Both marks were collegiate bests for the freshman, and the first two dual meet event victories of her Spartan career.
Holden’s sophomore teammate, Jo Thibodaux, a two-time WAC Diver of the Week honoree already this season, placed second on both boards, with redshirt freshman Melissa Hymes fifth on the one-meter with a score of 164.93. The Spartans thus had an already-commanding 27-10 advantage heading into the swimming portion of the meet on Saturday, which was mostly held under a rainstorm.
Denman led off the victorious 200 medley relay that began the meet by timing a season-best 1:47.65. Caitlin Macky, Rudie Guerrero and Lauren Mar were also a part of that foursome. Denman’s 50-yard opening backstroke split of 25.96 was a lifetime-best, and just .13 seconds off Ashley Vrieze’s school record (25.83).
Fellow freshman Tomi Petty’s opening split of 27.52 was also a best as the Spartan B’ relay of Petty, Kirsten Trammell, Linzy Warkentin and Meghan McCurley went 1:49.87 for third.
Other individual winners for San Jose State included Julia Koch in the 200 free (1:54.90), Hannah Tringham in a close finish in the 200 fly (2:07.09), Mar in the 50 free (24.12), Petty in the 200 back (2:06.41) and Macky in the 200 breaststroke (2:21.88).
Koch’s time was a season best by over two seconds, and the fastest time in the event by a Spartan this year. Tringham’s mark was three seconds faster than her previous best this year. Petty’s 200 back her collegiate best, with Macky’s mark her season best by almost six seconds and also the fastest by a San Jose State swimmer this year. Mar’s 50 free was a season best.
Other performances of note included Megan Mills, a freshman out of Redlands, Calif., in the 1000 free, timing 10:32.71, her fastest as a collegian by over seven seconds and eighth all-time in the program, for second behind Friedhoff. Her 500 time of 5:10.32 was also a collegiate best , placing third in a 1-2-3 Spartan sweep with Friedhoff and Koch ahead of her.
San Jose State produced 1-2-3 sweeps of the scoring positions in two events in all, in the 200 free and 500 free, with Erin Garcia (1:54.95) and Kristin Yamaguchi (1:56.72) following Koch in season-best times. Garcia’s was her lifetime best for the junior San Jose native.
Season-best times were collected by Ashley Krisman in the 1000 free (10:52.24), Petty (57.48), Guerrero (59.91) and Katey Nelson (1:00.36) in the 100 back, Trammell in the 100 (1:07.06) and 200 breast (2:23.56), Beste Erener in the 200 fly (2:07.66), Daphne Yeung (24.77 relay split) and Ashley Ladd (25.67) in the 50 free, Mar (52.28), McCurley (53.47), Garcia (54.02) and Julie Wynn (54.87) in the 100 free , Nelson in the 200 back (2:07.22), Koch (5:09.66) and Krisman (5:18.59) in the 500, Linzy Warkentin (59.26) and Guerrero (59.33) in the 100 fly, and Erener (2:11.73) in the 200 IM.
Wynn’s first 200 freestyle race of the season was a collegiate-best 1:58.64.
A total of 11 lifetime-best marks were turned in by Spartan swimmers.
The Spartans now are idle from competition for 18 days, in order to prepare for the annual Nike Cup, held again in Long Beach, Calif., this year, from Thursday, November 20, through Saturday, November 22.
San Jose State vs. Boise State
November 1, 2008
Final Team Score
San Jose State (8-1) 197, Boise State (2-7) 102
Results (Winners and San Jose State competitors)
200 Yard Medley Relay
1. San Jose State A’ (Heather Denman, Caitlin Macky, Rudie Guerrero, Lauren Mar), 1:47.65. 3. San Jose State B’ (Tomi Petty, Kirsten Trammell, Linzy Warkentin, Meghan McCurley), 1:49.87.
1000 Yard Freestyle
1. Amy Friedhoff, SJSU, 10:19.95. 2. Megan Mills, SJSU, 10:32.71. 5. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 10:52.24.
200 Yard Freestyle
1. Julia Koch, SJSU, 1:54.90. 2. Erin Garcia, SJSU, 1:54.95. 3. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 1:56.72. 7. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 1:58.64.
100 Yard Backstroke
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 56.18. 2. Tomi Petty, SJSU, 57.48. 4. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 59.91. 5. Katey Nelson, SJSU, 1:00.36.
100 Yard Breaststroke
1. Emily Irvin, BSU, 1:04.89. 2. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 1:07.06. 3. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 1:07.58.
200 Yard Butterfly
1. Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 2:07.09. 3. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:07.66.
50 Yard Freestyle
1. Lauren Mar, SJSU, 24.12. 4. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 24.61. 5. Daphne Yeung, SJSU, 24.78. 7. Ashley Ladd, SJSU, 25.67.
1. Jessica Holden, SJSU, 222.00. 2. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 220.58. 5. Melissa Hymes, SJSU, 164.93.
100 Yard Freestyle
1. Stephanie North, BSU, 52.19. 2. Lauren Mar, SJSU, 52.28. 4. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 53.47. 5. Erin Garcia, SJSU, 54.02. 6. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 54.87.
200 Yard Backstroke
1. Tomi Petty, SJSU, 2:06.41. 2. Katey Nelson, SJSU, 2:07.22. 5. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:13.23.
200 Yard Breaststroke
1. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:21.88. 2. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:23.56.
500 Yard Freestyle
1. Amy Friedhoff, SJSU, 5:04.88. 2. Julia Koch, SJSU, 5:09.66. 3. Megan Mills, SJSU, 5:10.32. 5. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 5:18.59.
100 Yard Butterfly
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 56.70. 3. Linzy Warkentin, SJSU, 59.26. 4. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 59.33. 5. Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 1:00.92.
1. Jessica Holden, SJSU, 240.00. 2. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 230.33.
200 Yard Individual Medley
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 2:07.38. 4. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:11.73. 6. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:14.41.
200 Yard Freestyle Relay
1. Boise State A’ (Stephanie North, Amber Boucher, Sammy Sanchez-O’Dell, Morgan McLain). 1:37.93. 2. San Jose State A’ (Meghan McCurley, Erin Garcia, Lauren Mar, Julie Wynn), 1:37.95. 3. San Jose State B’ (Daphne Yeung, Ashley Ladd, Kristin Yamaguchi, Rudie Guerrero), 1:39.85.