Rudie Guerrero is a sophomore on the 2008-09 San Jose State swimming and diving team. A native of Vacaville, Calif., she graduated in 2007 from Vacaville Christian High School. Guerrero specializes in the butterfly and backstroke events. She is majoring in communication studies.
With the 7-1 Spartans set for their home opener against Western Athletic Conference foe Boise State this Saturday, November 1, at 11:30 a.m. at The Aquatics Center on campus, we asked Rudie to be our guest this week for our occasional website mini-feature, Swimming & Diving Q&A.
1. Who are some of your favorite musical artists? What’s the current ringtone on your cell?
Well, there are many musical artists that I am a fan of, so it makes it tough to choose just a few, but I would have to say Lil Wayne, of course, Too Short, E-40, Tim McGraw, and The Maine (Caitlin Macky introduced me to them and I instantly fell in love haha). I change my ringtones very often. I love getting new ringtones, but currently the ringtone on my phone is Paper Planes by M.I.A., and the ringtone for a text message is a really annoying voice yelling, “MESSAGE.” I find it hilarious, but many others find it to be quite annoying.
2. Any favorite movies or television shows?
Wow! I love movies. I have so many favorites. Stomp the Yard (it’s where I get all my sweet dance moves haha), Zoolander, Sex and the City, and The Ring (I’m a huge fan of Scary movies!) As for TV shows, Friends, One Tree Hill, The Hills, Sex and the City, and CSI (thanks to Ashley Ladd, she got me hooked). I have a lot of favorites.
3. What are some of your favorite foods?
If you know me, you know my weakness is food, but my favorites would be froyo (frozen yogurt) with rainbow sprinkles, bagels for sure, rice bowls with orange chicken, quesadillas, and cookies/ice cream sundaes!!! It’s so hard to pick only one.
4. With Friday being Halloween, let’s find out what your favorite type of candy is. Are there any Halloween memories that come to mind?
Let’s see, my favorite candy at the moment is Reese’s and Peanut M&M’s. Well, last Halloween was a fond memory, but also just remembering when I was younger, being scared to go to peoples’ doors, but my younger sister loved it and would run up to the door and start conversations with the families in the house.
5. What is your favorite place to hang out in San Jose?
Penguin Froyo!!! It’s so good and they are so friendly.
6. Talk about the team’s 7-1 start to this dual season heading into Saturday’s home opener, and what you hope to accomplish personally at your second WAC Championship in February.
We have had an amazing start to this season. It really couldn’t be better. Everyone gets along so well, and we work really well together as a team. We are all so pumped on being 7-1 right now, and winning the WAC Shootout was a great show of what we can do. It makes me really excited for the rest of the season. My personal goals for WAC are to help score points for my team and get lifetime-best times in all my events.
7. What is your most prized possession?
My most prized possession would have to be my teddy bear. It’s not really prized, but it’s my favorite and I love it to death.
8. What is your favorite place you have visited? Is there a place in particular you would like to go some day?
My favorite place I have visited is Hawaii. I love the beach! One day, I would love to visit Australia. It just sounds so perfect.
9. If you could be on any reality television show, which one would it be and why?
I would choose The Gauntlet (Real World/Road Rules Challenge), because it’s so competitive, or Paris Hilton’s My New BFF, because I have been watching it lately and it is so funny!
10. If you could have dinner with any three people in history, who would they be?
Princess Diana, because she was so beautiful and I would like to have a conversation with her to see what she went through, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and my great grandparents, because they sound like amazing people and I would love to meet them.
11. If you could fill any person’s shoes for one day, who would it be and why?
This is really superficial, but probably Britney Spears. She has been through so much and she is still fabulous. I would love to see what she goes through in a day. Also, Will Ferrell, because he is a genius and I love him!
2008-09 Swimming & Diving Q&A Guests
October 1 - Ashley Ladd, Sophomore
October 8 - Kirsten Trammell, Sophomore
October 30 - Rudie Guerrero, Sophomore