Santa Cruz, Calif. - The San Jose State University women’s swimming and diving team improved to 7-1 on the dual meet season by topping UC Santa Cruz, 169-100, and Fresno State, 198-80, on a gorgeous afternoon in Santa Cruz on Saturday, October 18.
San Jose State has now won seven straight dual meets after a season-opening loss at national powerhouse Stanford back on Friday, October 3. The run has included a perfect 5-0 mark last weekend at the inaugural Western Athletic Conference Shootout in Las Cruces, N.M.
Saturday’s meet marked the season openers for both of the Spartans’ opponents, and served as the revival of the San Jose State-Fresno State rivalry in women’s swimming and diving. The Bulldogs were competing for the first time since being cut as a program following the 2003-04 campaign. UC Santa Cruz (1-1) got by Fresno State (0-2) by the final score of 151-110.
San Jose State swept the top two scoring spots against both Fresno State and UC Santa Cruz in the 200 medley relay to open the meet. Tomi Petty, Kirsten Trammell, Rudie Guerrero and Daphne Yeung timed 1:51.86 for first place, with the foursome of Katey Nelson, Caitlin Macky, Hannah Tringham and Lauren Mar going 1:52.81 for second. Heather Denman, Beste Erener, Linzy Warkentin and Meghan McCurley actually posted the third-fastest time.
The Spartans went 1-2 with their only two competitors in the day’s longest event, the 1000 freestyle, with Julia Koch turning in a collegiate-best mark of 10:43.92 in her first 1000 of the season, and fellow sophomore Ashley Krisman producing a time of 11:06.36.
A 1-2-3 sweep in the 200 freestyle gave San Jose State a commanding 44-11 advantage through three events against both opponents. Amy Friedhoff, a freshman out of Federal Way, Wash., went 1:55.41 in her first collegiate 200 freestyle race, with junior Erin Garcia timing 1:57.60 and another true freshman, Megan Mills, also swimming her first 200 as a Spartan in 1:59.15. It was Garcia’s first 200 of the year.
The Spartans went 1-2-4 in the 100 back, Mar winning in her first appearance of the season in the event with a strong time of 58.61. Guerrero went 1:00.95 for second and freshman Kristin Yamaguchi timed 1:03.09 in her first collegiate backstroke race, for fourth. Cailtin Macky (1:07.88) and fellow sophomore Kirsten Trammell (1:09.71) were 2-3 in the 100 breaststroke.
San Jose State again put together top-three sweeps in the 200 butterfly and 50 freestyle ahead of the day’s first break. Denman began to make her presence felt in individual events, swimming a college-best 2:06.90 for first-place in the 200 fly. Erener (2:10.23) and Tringham (2:10.58) followed her in, with Erener’s mark a season best by over two and a half seconds.
In the 50, Yeung sprinted a season-best 25.17, with fellow sophomores Ashley Ladd (25.95) and Julie Wynn (26.09) behind her.
Another sophomore, Jo Thibodaux, won the three-meter diving event with a season-best score of 256.60, falling just 6.20 points short of matching her collegiate-best. Jessica Holden, a true freshman, scored 168.00 points. Thibodaux later won the one-meter (228.80).
Denman went on to win both the 100 fly (58.48) and the 200 individual medley (2:10.26), in her first collegiate appearance in each event.
Garcia won the 100 free in 54.41, with Koch second in 55.33 in her first 100 free of the season. Wynn (55.41), Guerrero (55.20) and Ladd (55.92) all had season-best times. Guerrero’s was her collegiate best.
The Spartans now have 13 days off from competition in order to prepare for their 2008-09 home opener against Western Athletic Conference foe Boise State on Saturday, November 1. The first of five meets this season at The Aquatics Center on campus is slated for an 11:00 a.m. start.
San Jose State at UC Santa Cruz, vs. Fresno State
October 18, 2008
Final Team Scores
San Jose State (7-1) 169, UC Santa Cruz (0-1) 100
San Jose State (7-1) 198, Fresno State (0-1) 80
UC Santa Cruz (1-1) 151, Fresno State (0-2) 110
Incomplete Results (San Jose State Competitors)
200 Yard Medley Relay
1. San Jose State (Tomi Petty, Kirsten Trammell, Rudie Guerrero, Daphne Yeung), 1:51.86. 2. San Jose State (Katey Nelson, Caitlin Macky, Hannah Tringham, Lauren Mar), 1:52.81. San Jose State (Heather Denman, Beste Erener, Linzy Warkentin, Meghan McCurley), 1:52.59.
1000 Yard Freestyle
1. Julia Koch, SJSU, 10:43.92. 2. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 11:06.36.
200 Yard Freestyle
1. Amy Friedhoff, SJSU, 1:55.41. 2. Erin Garcia, SJSU, 1:57.60. 3. Megan Mills, SJSU, 1:59.15.
100 Yard Backstroke
1. Lauren Mar, SJSU, 58.61. 2. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 1:00.95. 4. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 1:03.09.
100 Yard Breaststroke
2. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 1:07.88. 3. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 1:09.71.
200 Yard Butterfly
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 2:06.90. 2. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:10.23. 3. Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 2:10.58.
50 Yard Freestyle
1. Daphne Yeung, SJSU, 25.17. 2. Ashley Ladd, SJSU, 25.95. 3. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 26.09.
1. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 259.00. 3. Jessica Holden, SJSU, 168.00.
100 Yard Freestyle
1. Erin Garcia, SJSU, 54.41. 2. Julia Koch, SJSU, 55.33. 4. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 55.41. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 55.20. Ashley Ladd, SJSU, 55.92.
200 Yard Backstroke
1. Tomi Petty, SJSU, 2:08.99. 2. Amy Friedhoff, SJSU, 2:11.06. 4. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 2:15.20.
200 Yard Breaststroke
2. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:30.10.
500 Yard Freestyle
1. Katey Nelson, SJSU, 5:12.19. Megan Mills, SJSU, 5:16.10. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 5:21.97.
100 Yard Butterfly
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 58.48. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 1:00.43.
1. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 228.80. 2. Jessica Holden, SJSU, 215.55. 5. Melissa Hymes, SJSU, 152.40.
200 Yard Individual Medley
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 2:10.26. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 2:14.92. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 2:19.28.
200 Yard Freestyle Relay
1. San Jose State (Lauren Mar, Ashley Ladd, Linzy Warkentin, Caitlin Macky), 1:40.81. 2. San Jose State (Erin Garcia, Amy Friedhoff, Julie Wynn, Julia Koch), 1:41.85. 3. San Jose State (Daphne Yeung, Katey Nelson, Megan Mills, Kirsten Trammell) 1:44.14.