San Jose, Calif. - The San Jose State University women's swimming and diving team posted five individual wins over both opponents and swept the two relay events in splitting a home-opening double dual meet at The Aquatics Center on Saturday, October 13.
The Spartans (1-2) cruised by UC Santa Cruz (0-2), 227-60, while getting out-pointed by UC Davis (2-0), 166-132. The Aggies also topped the Banana Slugs on both the women’s side, 251-46, as well as defeating them in their men’s dual, 165-120.
Spartan swimmers won seven of the 16 events contested on the day, against both opponents. Brie Marhenke again swept the sprint freestyle events after winning both at Stanford to open the season a week ago, while Lauren Mar, Katey Nelson and Hannah Tringham all added individual victories. The Spartans placed first in the 200 medley relay and the 200 freestyle relay, with Marhenke and Tarolyn Robertson a part of both.
Mar, freshman Caitlin Macky, Robertson and Marhenke, in order, first took the 200 medley relay in 1:46.93, a season best by almost two and a half seconds from the Stanford meet, with Marhenke turning in a blistering anchor freestyle leg of 23.14 seconds.
Mar touched first in the 100 backstroke in 59.32, with Spartan swimmers later producing first-place efforts in four straight events. The string started with Tringham in the 200 butterfly in a season-best 2:07.77, and continued with wins by Marhenke in the 50 and 100 free around a lengthy break for diving.
Marhenke, the reigning WAC Swimming & Diving Athlete of the Week, sprinted 23.63 in the 50 and 52.18 in the 100, both times just off those she produced at Stanford. She remains undefeated as a Spartan in dual meets in the 50 freestyle, now at 15-0, and is 12-1 in the 100.
Nelson out-distanced her opponents in the 200 backstroke in a season-best time of 2:08.22 as the final individual winner for San Jose State, with Mar finishing third in a season-best 2:10.38.
To close the meet, Marhenke led off the 200 freestyle relay in a split of 23.62, with freshmen Daphne Yeung and Julia Koch helping toward the first-place finish around Robertson’s third leg. The foursome timed 1:38.46.
Senior Amanda Carr was second in the 500 free (season-best 5:12.08), third in the 1000 free (10:44.71) and seventh in the 200 free (2:01.95). Nelson added a pair of fifth-place efforts in the 200 free (season-best 1:59.30) and the 100 back (1:01.52).
Freshman diver Jo Thibodaux placed third on both the one-meter (204.70) and three-meter (219.25) springboards, with the three-meter mark almost 24 points better than at Stanford.
Other impressive newcomer performances included Kirsten Trammell with a Spartan-best second-place finish in 10:44.11 in her first collegiate 1000 freestyle race, and a third-place swim in the 200 breast with a mark of 2:23.94 that was over three seconds faster than at Stanford. Meghan McCurley was third in the 50 free (24.64) and fourth in the 100 free (54.02), both in season-best times, while competing in both relays. Macky was third in the 100 breast (1:06.38) and 200 IM (2:11.29), and fifth in the 200 breast (2:25.53), all in season-best times.
Yeung was fourth in the 50 free (24.91) and fifth in the 100 free (54.50), with both times bettering her marks at Stanford. Stephanie Hampton, a freshman out of North Pole, Alaska, made her collegiate debut, as a total of 15 Spartans made their first appearances at The Aquatics Center.
Other multiple individual event winners on the women’s side were UC Davis’ Heidi Kucera in the 200 breast (2:21.88) and 200 IM (2:09.37) and Aggie Tyler Ring in the 500 free (5:09.97) and 1000 free (10:37.60).
“It was a very strong overall team performance, highlighted by wins from Mar, Tringham, Nelson, Marhenke and both relays,” said third-year San Jose State head coach Sage Hopkins. “Two of the standout performances were freshman Kirsten Trammell swimming 2:23.9 in the 200 breaststroke, and Katey Nelson’s 2:08.2 (200) backstroke. Brie (Marhenke) splitting 23.1 on the end of the medley relay was possibly her fastest ever, and was a tremendous effort at the end of that relay.
“We set a goal of 50 season bests in this meet, and achieved 53. We set a goal of 12 lifetime-best unshaved times, and achieved 25. We set a third goal of six lifetime bests, and achieved seven.”
San Jose State next travels to Boise, Idaho, for the first time for a pair of dual meets against Western Athletic Conference foe Boise State University next Friday, October 19, and Saturday, October 20.
“This will be our first road trip of the year, and our first time ever swimming Boise State in dual competition,” concluded Hopkins. “They are a young program, but could become one of the better teams in the conference very quickly. They are much stronger than last year.”
San Jose State Women vs. UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz
UC Davis Men vs. UC Santa Cruz Men
October 13, 2007
Final Team Scores
San Jose State 227, UC Santa Cruz 60
UC Davis 166, San Jose State (1-2) 132
UC Davis (2-0) 251, UC Santa Cruz (0-2) 46
UC Davis Men (1-0) 165, UC Santa Cruz Men (0-1) 120
Results (Winners plus Spartan athletes)
Women 200 Yard Medley Relay
1. San Jose State A’ (Lauren Mar, Caitlin Macky, Tarolyn Robertson, Brie Marhenke), 1:46.93. 4. San Jose State C’ (Katey Nelson, Erin Garcia, Ally Jack, Daphne Yeung), 1:51.62. 5. San Jose State B’ (Beste Erener, Kirsten Trammell, Joanna Torres, Meghan McCurley), 1:51.89.
Women 1000 Yard Freestyle
1.Tyler Ring, UCD, 10:37.60. 2. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 10:44.11. 3. Amanda Carr, SJSU, 10:44.71. 5. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 10:52.34.
Women 200 Yard Freestyle
1. Linda Hermann, UCD, 1:54.12. 5. Katey Nelson, SJSU, 1:59.30. 6. Julia Koch, SJSU, 1:59.54. 7. Amanda Carr, SJSU, 2:01.95.
Women 100 Yard Backstroke
1. Lauren Mar, SJSU, 59.32. 5. Katey Nelson, SJSU, 1:01.52. 7. Jillian Cureton, SJSU, 1:02.90. 8. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 1:03.49.
Women 100 Yard Breaststroke
1. Ashley Cayford, UCD, 1:05.72. 3. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 1:06.38. 5. Erin Garcia, SJSU, 1:08.66. 7. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 1:08.99. 11. Stephanie Hampton, SJSU, 1:13.02.
Women 200 Yard Butterfly
1. Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 2:07.77. 3. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:09.02. 4. Jillene Golez, SJSU, 2:09.53. 5. Ally Jack, SJSU, 2:12.93.
Women 50 Yard Freestyle
1. Brie Marhenke, SJSU, 23.63. 3. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 24.64. 4. Daphne Yeung, SJSU, 24.91. 7. Tarolyn Robertson, SJSU, 25.39. 11. Ashley Ladd, SJSU, 25.87. --. Sara Riley, SJSU, X25.65.
Women One-Meter Diving
1. Krysta Chaldekas, UCD, 239.50. 3. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 204.70.
Women 100 Yard Freestyle
1. Brie Marhenke, SJSU, 52.18. 4. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 54.02. 5. Daphne Yeung, SJSU, 54.50. 8. Sara Riley, SJSU, x55.45. --, Ashley Ladd, SJSU, X56.26. --, Julie Wynn, SJSU, X56.34. --. Joanna Torres, SJSU, X56.59. --. Taryn Krische, SJSU, X58.95.
Women 200 Yard Backstroke
1. Katey Nelson, SJSU, 2:08.22. 3. Lauren Mar, SJSU, 2:10.38. 7. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:13.18. 10. Jillian Cureton, SJSU, x2:18.42. --. Nikki Chapman, SJSU, X2:24.17.
Women 200 Yard Breaststroke
1. Heidi Kucera, UCD, 2:21.88. 3. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:23.94. 5. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:25.53. 7. Erin Garcia, SJSU, 2:32.75. 13. Stephanie Hampton, SJSU, x2:39.40.
Women 500 Yard Freestyle
1. Tyler Ring, UCD, 5:09.97. 2. Amanda Carr, SJSU, 5:12.08. 4. Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 5:13.88. 6. Julia Koch, SJSU, 5:18.95. --. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, X5:21.67.
Women 100 Yard Butterfly
1. Mary Struempf, UCD, 58.28. 2. Jillene Golez, SJSU, 59.01. 3. Tarolyn Robertson, SJSU, 59.68. 5. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 1:01.04. 6. Ally Jack, SJSU, x1:01.47.
Women Three-Meter Diving
1. Jamie Flynn, UCD, 254.55. 3. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 219.25.
Women 200 Yard IM
1. Heidi Kucera, UCD, 2:09.37. 3. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:11.29. 5. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:13.79. 6. Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 2:14.92. --. Jillian Cureton, SJSU, X2:20.99. --. Stephanie Hampton, SJSU, X2:21.75.
Women 200 Yard Freestyle Relay
1. San Jose State A’ (Brie Marhenke, Daphne Yeung, Tarolyn Robertson, Julia Koch), 1:38.46. 3. San Jose State B’ (Meghan McCurley, Lauren Mar, Erin Garcia, Joanna Torres), 1:38.98. 6. San Jose State C’ (Ashley Ladd, Sara Riley, Julie Wynn, Rudie Guerrero), x1:43.64.