Stanford, Calif. - Returners Caitlin Macky and Lauren Mar and true freshmen Heather Denman and Amy Friedhoff were among the individual highlights as the San Jose State University women’s swimming and diving team dropped a dual meet at Stanford University, 170-102, in the season opener for both squads at Stanford’s Avery Aquatic Center on Friday, October 3.
With the defeat, San Jose State moves to 0-1, while Stanford is now 1-0. The Cardinal placed third at the 2008 NCAA Division I Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships. The area programs opened the season against each other for a fourth year in a row since head coach Sage Hopkins took charge of the Spartans.
Macky, a sophomore, swam 1:06.52 to finish third in the 100 breaststroke, her only event of the afternoon. Mar, a fourth-year senior, sprinted 24.34 to place third in the 50 freesyle ahead of the meet’s first break, and came out of the interval with another third-place finish in the 100 free (53.19). She also anchored both A’ relays on the day for the Spartans.
Friedhoff turned in a third-place effort in her first collegiate race, going 10:29.97 in the 1000 freestyle after the opening relay. The Washington native was third in the 500 free in 5:07.17.
Denman, out of Brookeville, Md., had the top individual finish by time of any Spartan on the day, with a second-place showing in the 100 backstroke in 57.77. She also was third in the 200 back in 2:04.99, and swam the lead backstroke leg of the A’ medley relay (26.73).
On the one-meter diving board, sophomore Jo Thibodaux was third with a strong score of 243.98. True freshman Jessica Holden (217.13) and redshirt freshman Melissa Hymes (180.45), both making their first collegiate appearances, placed fifth and sixth, respectively. At three meters, Holden was fourth (237.98) and Thibodaux (234.53) fifth while Hymes was inactive.
In addition to Denman, Friedhoff, Holden and Hymes, others making their collegiate debuts included redshirt freshman Linzy Warkentin, and true freshmen Megan Mills, Tomi Petty and Kristin Yamaguchi. Warkentin swam the butterfly leg of the B’ medley relay to open the meet, and timed 1:01.67 in the 100 fly.
Mills produced a pair of fourth-place distance finishes in the 500 (5:13.04) and 1000 (10:40.21). Petty was the lead backstroke leg of the 'B' medley relay (28.20), and also posted two fourth-place efforts in the backstroke events, in 59.23 in the 100 and 2:06.88 in the 200.
Yamaguchi impressed as the top Spartan finisher in the 200 free, timing 1:57.19 in fourth, just ahead of Julia Koch (1:57.63), who was all-conference in the event as just a freshman a year ago. Yamaguchi also swam 2:15.10 in the 200 individual medley.
The Cardinal exhibitioned the last three swimming events, with sophomore Rudie Guerrero (100 fly, 59.69), senior Beste Erener (200 IM, 2:14.49) and the Spartan A’ 200 free relay (1:38.48) of Denman, sophomores Meghan McCurley and Daphne Yeung, and Mar, thus picking up first-place points. Erener also went a career-best 1:10.86 for fifth behind Macky in the 100 breast. The A’ medley relay timed 1:47.88 for fourth with Denman, Macky, Guerrero and Mar.
Sophomore tri-captain Kirsten Trammell’s fifth-place time of 2:11.91 in the 200 fly was her collegiate best.
Stanford had two swimmers win a pair of individual events each. Freshman Sam Woodward took the 200 free (1:50.72) and 50 free (23.27), while sophomore Kate Dwelley won the 100 back (56.82) and 200 fly (2:03.52).
The meet began with the Cardinal A’ winning the 200 medley relay (1:42.50) behind a pair of Beijing Olympians in lead backstroke leg Elaine Breeden and freestyle anchor Julia Smit, both juniors. Each standout also took an individual event, with Smit winning the 100 breast in 1:03.12 and Breeden the 100 free in 51.63.
One NCAA A’ and one NCAA B’ cut were achieved, both by Stanford divers. Sophomore Meg Hostage won the three-meter competition with a score of 292.43, eclipsing the A’ standard of 280.00. Freshman Mary Beth Corbett achieved her B’ cut in her first college meet, scoring 255.60 to win the one-meter event. This year’s B’ cut is 255.00.
The Spartans are right back in the pool next weekend, traveling to Las Cruces, N.M., for the Western Athletic Conference Shootout, hosted by New Mexico State University on Friday, October 10, and Saturday, October 11. San Jose State will contest a total of five dual meets during the inaugural two-day event.
San Jose State at Stanford
October 3, 2008
Final Team Score
Stanford (1-0) 170, San Jose State (0-1) 102
Results (Winners plus all San Jose State competitors)
200 Yard Medley Relay
1. Stanford A’ (Elaine Breeden, Liz Smith, Sam Woodward, Julia Smit), 1:42.50. 4. San Jose State A’ (Heather Denman, Caitlin Macky, Rudie Guerrero, Lauren Mar), 1:47.88. 5. San Jose State B’ (Tomi Petty, Beste Erener, Linzy Warkentin, Meghan McCurley), 1:53.24.
1000 Yard Freestyle
1. Angela Duckworth, STAN, 9:58.12. 3. Amy Friedhoff, SJSU, 10:29.97. 4. Megan Mills, SJSU, 10:40.21. 5. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 11:02.93.
200 Yard Freestyle
1. Sam Woodward, STAN, 1:50.72. 4. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 1:57.19. 5. Julia Koch, SJSU, 1:57.63. 6. Katey Nelson, SJSU, 1:59.94.
100 Yard Backstroke
1. Kate Dwelley, STAN, 56.82. 2. Heather Denman, SJSU, 57.77. 4. Tomi Petty, SJSU, 59.23. 6. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 1:00.22.
100 Yard Breaststroke
1. Julia Smit, STAN, 1:03.12. 3. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 1:06.52. 5. Beste Erener, SJSU, 1:10.86.
200 Yard Butterfly
1. Kate Dwelley, STAN, 2:03.52. 5. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:11.91. 6. Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 2:12.32.
50 Yard Freestyle
1. Sam Woodward, STAN, 23.27. 3. Lauren Mar, SJSU, 24.34. 6. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 25.18. 7. Daphne Yeung, SJSU, 25.32. 8. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 25.88. 9. Ashley Ladd, SJSU, 26.12.
1. Mary Beth Corbett, STAN, 255.60B. 3. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 243.98. 5. Jessica Holden, SJSU, 217.13. 6. Melissa Hymes, SJSU, 180.45.
100 Yard Freestyle
1. Elaine Breeden, STAN, 51.63. 3. Lauren Mar, SJSU, 53.19. 4. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 54.40. 6. Daphne Yeung, SJSU, 55.00. 7. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 55.81. 8. Ashley Ladd, SJSU, 56.76.
200 Yard Backstroke
1. Liz Smith, STAN, 2:03.49. 3. Heather Denman, SJSU, 2:04.99. 4. Tomi Petty, SJSU, 2:06.88. 6. Katey Nelson, SJSU, 2:08.86.
200 Yard Breaststroke
1. Kerry Kraemer, STAN, 2:19.54. 4. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:31.12.
500 Yard Freestyle
1. Whitney Spence, STAN, 4:57.66. 3. Amy Friedhoff, SJSU, 5:07.17. 4. Megan Mills, SJSU, 5:13.04. 5. Julia Koch, SJSU, 5:16.50. 6. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 5:34.57.
100 Yard Butterfly
1. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 59.69. 2. Linzy Warkentin, SJSU, 1:01.67. Julia Smit, STAN, X55.18.
1. Meg Hostage, STAN, 292.43A. 4. Jessica Holden, SJSU, 237.98. 5. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 234.53.
200 Yard Individual Medley
1. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:14.49. 2. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 2:15.10. 3. Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 2:17.63. Jamie Bruce, STAN, X2:06.99.
200 Yard Freestyle Relay
1. San Jose State A’ (Heather Denman, Meghan McCurley, Daphne Yeung, Lauren Mar), 1:38.48. 2. San Jose State B’ (Julia Koch, Ashley Ladd, Rudie Guerrero, Julie Wynn), 1:42.64. -- Stanford A’ (Sam Woodward, Kate Dwelley, Elaine Breeden, Julia Smit), X1:33.39.