Stanford, Calif. - True freshmen Amy Kilby and Kiley Foster highlighted the San Jose State University women's swimming and diving team's season-opening effort in a 183-103 dual-meet loss at national powerhouse Stanford University at Stanford's Avery Aquatic Center on Friday, October 2.
The Spartans thus have their program-record 16-meet dual win streak snapped, while Stanford's string extends to 26 dual victories in a row, having gone a perfect 20-0 a year ago. San Jose State had reeled off 16 straight wins since an opening loss at Stanford last October 3. The Cardinal placed fourth at the 2009 NCAA Division I Women's Swimming and Diving Championships, and feature 12 All-Americans. The area programs opened the season against each other for a fifth year in a row since head coach Sage Hopkins took charge of the Spartans.
Kilby, out of Oklahoma City, Okla., achieved an NCAA Zone E Diving Meet qualifying score of 273.00 points on the one-meter springboard in her first collegiate competition. The standard was 265.00. She will be able to compete on both the one-meter and three-meter boards at the zone meet in Austin, Texas, in March. Kilby placed third from one meter, just behind Stanford All-Americans Carmen Stellar (313.58) and Meg Hostage (306.90), and fifth from three meters (229.95).
Stanford exhibitioned the final five swimming events after taking a comfortable lead, but the San Jose State 'A' 200 freestyle relay still turned in the top time in the final race of the afternoon, at 1:38.55. The Spartan foursome featured juniors Meghan McCurley and Daphne Yeung, followed by Foster and fellow freshman Marisa DeWames. McCurley's opening 50 split was 24.59.
Individually, Foster, out of Alta Loma, Calif., sprinted to a third-place finish in the 100 free (53.89), just ahead of McCurley (53.92), and also raced 24.81 to touch fourth behind McCurley (24.49) in the 50 free.
Other top-four individual times for the Spartans included Caitlin Macky (3rd, 1:07.44) and fellow junior Kirsten Trammell (4th, 1:08.31) in the 100 breaststroke, sophomore Heather Denman (4th, 2:08.12) in the 200 backstroke, Macky in the 200 breast (2:26.84), Rudie Guerrero (3rd, 58.63) and Denman (4th, 58.95) in the 100 butterfly, and sophomore Jessica Holden in three-meter diving (4th, 249.15).
DeWames was the fastest Spartan in the 200 free, swimming 1:55.89, while fellow freshman Caitlin Lipton, in her first collegiate race, produced the best mark by a Spartan in the 1000 free, going 10:45.94 for fifth-place. Lipton was also the top Spartan in the 500 free (5:15.91). Distance specialist Amy Friedhoff, a sophomore, was unavailable today due to injury.
In addition to DeWames, Foster, Kilby and Lipton, other Spartan freshmen making their college debuts were Julia Craddock, Elana Faria, Megan Lomazzi, Danielle Smyth and Taylor Stoddard.
Alise Blackwell, a four-year standout on the Spartan gymnastics team out of Archbishop Mitty High School, who is spending her final season of collegiate eligibility as a member of the diving squad, completed her first actual diving competition in seventh-place on the one-meter board.
The Spartans open the home portion of their 2009-10 schedule next weekend, hosting the second annual Western Athletic Conference Shootout at The Aquatics Center on campus on Friday, October 9 (4:00 p.m.) and Saturday, October 10 (10:00 a.m.).
San Jose State at Stanford
October 2, 2009
Final Team Score
Stanford (1-0) 183, San Jose State (0-1) 103
Results (Winners plus all San Jose State competitors)
200 Yard Medley Relay
1. Stanford 'A' (Betsy Webb, Liz Smith, Elaine Breeden, Sam Woodward), 1:45.01; 4. San Jose State 'A' (Heather Denman, Kirsten Trammell, Rudie Guerrero, Meghan McCurley), 1:49.85; 5. San Jose State 'B' (Kristin Yamaguchi, Caitlin Macky, Marisa DeWames, Daphne Yeung), 1:52.33; 7. San Jose State 'C' (Julia Craddock, Erin Garcia, Hannah Tringham, Kiley Foster), 1:54.68.
1000 Yard Freestyle
1. Julia Smit, STAN, 9:49.02; 5. Caitlin Lipton, SJSU, 10:45.94; 6. Megan Mills, SJSU, 10:48.51; 7. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 11:04.27.
200 Yard Freestyle
1. Kelsey Ditto, STAN, 1:50.87; 5. Julia Koch, SJSU, 1:58.15; 6. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 1:59.46; 7. Taylor Stoddard, SJSU, 2:00.60; -- Marisa DeWames, SJSU, 1:55.89.
100 Yard Backstroke
1. Kelly Hug, STAN, 56.98; 6. Heather Denman, SJSU, 59.05; 8. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 1:00.39.
100 Yard Breaststroke
1. Julia Smit, STAN, 1:02.42B; 3. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 1:07.44; 4. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 1:08.31; 6. Erin Garcia, SJSU, 1:11.37; 8. Megan Lomazzi, SJSU, 1:18.55.
200 Yard Butterfly
1. Kate Dwelley, STAN, 2:01.05; 5. Julia Craddock, SJSU, 2:10.55; 6. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 2:12.29.
50 Yard Freestyle
1. Sam Woodward, STAN, 23.92; 3. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 24.49; 4. Kiley Foster, SJSU, 24.81; 6. Daphne Yeung, SJSU, 25.18; 8. Elana Faria, SJSU, 25.64; 9. Danielle Smyth, SJSU, 26.02; -- Julie Wynn, SJSU, 25.27.
1. Carmen Stellar, STAN, 313.58A; 3. Amy Kilby, SJSU, 273.00A; 5. Jessica Holden, SJSU, 238.13; 7. Alise Blackwell, SJSU, 137.63.
100 Yard Freestyle
1. Julia Smit, STAN, 49.94B; 3. Kiley Foster, SJSU, 53.89; 4. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 53.92; 5. Marisa DeWames, SJSU, 54.20; 6. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 54.49; 8. Daphne Yeung, SJSU, 55.20; 9. Elana Faria, SJSU, 56.06; 9. Taylor Stoddard, SJSU, 56.06; 11. Danielle Smyth, SJSU, 56.99.
200 Yard Backstroke
1. Elaine Breeden, STAN, 2:04.16; 4. Heather Denman, SJSU, 2:08.12; 6. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 2:12.67. 7. Julia Craddock, SJSU, 2:15.80.
200 Yard Breaststroke
1. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:26.84; 2. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:29.81; -- Liz Smith, STAN, X2:14.88B.
500 Yard Freestyle
1. Caitlin Lipton, SJSU, 5:15.91; 2. Julia Koch, SJSU, 5:16.58; 3. Megan Mills, SJSU, 5:19.25; -- Kelsey Ditto, STAN, X4:52.56.
100 Yard Butterfly
1. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 58.63; 2. Heather Denman, SJSU, 58.95; 3. Marisa DeWames, SJSU, X1:04.32; -- Elaine Breeden, STAN, X55.37.
1. Meg Hostage, STAN, 291.75A; 4. Jessica Holden, SJSU, 249.15; 5. Amy Kilby, SJSU, 229.95.
200 Yard Individual Medley
1. Kelly Hug, STAN, 2:09.22; 4. Julia Craddock, SJSU, 2:12.21; 5. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 2:13.22; 6. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:13.65; 7. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:14.32; -- Liz Smith, STAN, X2:02.28.
200 Yard Freestyle Relay
1. San Jose State 'A' (Meghan McCurley, Daphne Yeung, Kiley Foster, Marisa DeWames), 1:38.55; 2. San Jose State 'B' (Julie Wynn, Taylor Stoddard, Danielle Smyth, Elana Faria), 1:41.61; 3. San Jose State 'C' (Caitlin Lipton, Megan Mills, Julia Koch, Rudie Guerrero), 1:43.69.