Fresno, Calif. - San Jose State University won 10 of 16 events to get past Western Athletic Conference rival Fresno State, 172-122, in a women's swimming and diving dual meet at Clovis North Aquatics Complex on Saturday, February 6.
San Jose State improves to 12-3 in extending its win streak to eight straight duals. With the loss on Senior Day, Fresno State falls to 3-10. The Spartans had already defeated the Bulldogs once this season, 176-66, at home on day one of the 2009 WAC Shootout back on October 9, and have now taken all five meetings since Fresno State brought its women's swimming and diving program back in 2008-09. The Bulldogs, who did not have any home contests a year ago, had entered today's meet a perfect 2-0 in 2010 at Clovis North Aquatics Complex. They are still awaiting the completion of their on-campus facility.
Multiple individual event winners for San Jose State were junior Caitlin Macky and sophomore Heather Denman. Macky first took the 200 breaststroke in 2:23.48, over a second ahead of fellow junior Kirsten Trammell (2:24.69), and then the 200 individual medley in 2:10.73, leading one of three clean 1-2-3 sweeps for the Spartans on the day, with freshman Julia Craddock (2:10.92) and Trammell (2:11.99) following her to the wall. Macky also placed second in the 100 breast (1:06.63) behind Fresno State's Britney Vogel (1:05.89).
Denman, meanwhile, swept the butterfly events, first winning the 200 by more than three seconds in 2:05.38. The race marked San Jose State's first 1-2-3 finish of the meet, with Craddock (2:08.87) and senior tri-captain Hannah Tringham (2:11.20) trailing Denman. The Maryland native later produced the top time of 56.84 in the 100, junior Rudie Guerrero finishing second in 59.57.
Denman and Macky had started their day by swimming the 50-yard backstroke and butterfly legs, respectively, of the Spartans' first-place foursome in the 200 medley relay (1:48.53). Trammell was the breaststroke leg while freshman Kiley Foster the freestyle anchor. Sophomore Kristin Yamaguchi, senior tri-captain Erin Garcia, Guerrero and freshman Elana Faria went 1:52.19 to place third and give San Jose State an immediate 13-4 advantage.
Sophomore Megan Mills had the best time in the 1000 freestyle race for the second straight week, 10:48.50, with junior Ashley Krisman third in a season-best 10:53.63.
The Spartans went 2-3-4 in the 200 free behind Fresno State's Norwegian, sophomore Heidi Gjoen (1:54.80), with freshman Marisa DeWames (1:54.91) out-touched by the slightest of margins and trailed by juniors Julia Koch (1:56.79) and Julie Wynn (1:59.12).
Guerrero (59.42) and Yamaguchi (1:00.28) took the top two spots in the 100 back as the lone San Jose State entrants. Junior Meghan McCurley's initial involvement for the day saw her speed 24.24 for second-place in the 50 free behind Bulldog Dani Yoho (24.15), with Foster third (24.43) and Faria fifth (25.18) as the Spartans took a comfortable 77-53 lead into the first of two breaks.
On the one-meter springboard, Spartan freshman Amy Kilby notched her fourth NCAA standard in the event in her first season of college competition, scoring a 259.05 for a 'B' mark and second-place. Stacey Luke won it for the Bulldogs with an 'A' mark of 265.87. Luke later swept the diving with a 'B' standard of 279.07 from three meters, with Kilby not participating.
Coming out of the intermission, McCurley's 52.66 paced a dominating 1-2-3 performance for San Jose State in the 100 free, Foster (52.91) and DeWames (53.40) assuring maximum points. At 97-70, the result of the meet was effectively out of doubt.
Yamaguchi then represented the Spartans in the 200 back and fell just short of her season-best time of 2:10.07 by swimming 2:10.52 to touch second after Gjoen (2:05.90). Luke and Gjoen were thus the only two Fresno State double-winners among their six total first-place efforts.
Craddock turned in the fastest time of 5:09.65 to take the 500 free by almost three seconds over Koch (5:12.60).
To close out the competition, McCurley, Foster, DeWames and junior anchor Daphne Yeung in her only race of the afternoon, sprinted 1:37.58 to win the 200 free relay.
The Spartans return to San Jose immediately following the meet, and now have 15 days of preparation left before they depart for San Antonio, Texas, on Monday, February 22, for the 2010 WAC Championship.
San Jose State at Fresno State
February 6, 2010
Final Team Score
San Jose State (12-3) 172, Fresno State (3-10) 122
Results (Top marks plus all San Jose State competitors)
200 Yard Medley Relay
1. San Jose State 'A' (Heather Denman, Kirsten Trammell, Caitlin Macky, Kiley Foster), 1:48.53; 3. San Jose State 'B' (Kristin Yamaguchi, Erin Garcia, Rudie Guerrero, Elana Faria), 1:52.19.
1000 Yard Freestyle
1. Megan Mills, SJSU, 10:48.50; 3. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 10:53.63.
200 Yard Freestyle
1. Heidi Gjoen, FS, 1:54.80; 2. Marisa DeWames, SJSU, 1:54.91; 3. Julia Koch, SJSU, 1:56.79; 4. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 1:59.12; 7. Taylor Stoddard, SJSU, 1:59.89.
100 Yard Backstroke
1. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 59.42; 2. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 1:00.28.
100 Yard Breaststroke
1. Britney Vogel, FS, 1:05.89; 2. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 1:06.63; 4. Erin Garcia, SJSU, 1:09.87; 6. Megan Lomazzi, SJSU, 1:23.78.
200 Yard Butterfly
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 2:05.38; 2. Julia Craddock, SJSU, 2:08.87; 3. Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 2:11.20.
50 Yard Freestyle
1. Dani Yoho, FS, 24.15; 2. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 24.24; 3. Kiley Foster, SJSU, 24.43; 5. Elana Faria, SJSU, 25.18; 7. Danielle Smyth, SJSU, 26.25.
1. Stacey Luke, FS, 265.87A; 2. Amy Kilby, SJSU, 259.05B.
100 Yard Freestyle
1. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 52.66; 2. Kiley Foster, SJSU, 52.91; 3. Marisa DeWames, SJSU, 53.40; 5. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 54.77; 6. Taylor Stoddard, SJSU, 55.23; 7. Danielle Smyth, SJSU, 55.49.
200 Yard Backstroke
1. Heidi Gjoen, FS, 2:05.90; 2. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 2:10.52.
200 Yard Breaststroke
1. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:23.48; 2. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:24.69; 5. Megan Lomazzi, SJSU, 2:55.47.
500 Yard Freestyle
1. Julia Craddock, SJSU, 5:09.65; 2. Julia Koch, SJSU, 5:12.60; 4. Megan Mills, SJSU, 5:18.54.
100 Yard Butterfly
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 56.84; 2. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 59.57.
1. Stacey Luke, FS, 279.07B.
200 Yard Individual Medley
1. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:10.73; 2. Julia Craddock, SJSU, 2:10.92; 3. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:11.99.
200 Yard Freestyle Relay
1. San Jose State 'A' (Meghan McCurley, Kiley Foster, Marisa DeWames, Daphne Yeung), 1:37.58; 3. San Jose State 'B' (Julie Wynn, Danielle Smyth, Taylor Stoddard, Julia Koch), 1:42.01; 4. San Jose State 'C' (Rudie Guerrero, Elana Faria, Megan Mills, Julia Craddock), 1:42.50.