Bakersfield, Calif. - San Jose State University student-athletes produced the top marks in 11 of 16 events to sweep a women's swimming and diving double-dual meet against host Cal State Bakersfield and UC Santa Cruz at the Hillman Aquatics Center on Saturday, January 30.
The Spartans topped CSUB, 172-113, and UCSC, 191-115. Now with seven straight dual successes to start the 2010 calendar year, San Jose State has a season record of 11-3. Cal State Bakersfield, an NCAA Division I independent which narrowly edged the Banana Slugs in the day's other match-up, 157-155, is now 2-7. UC Santa Cruz, a member of the NCAA Division III, drops to 1-5. The Spartans had previously topped the 'Runners, 160-135, also on the road, back on January 2, and have now won seven dual meetings in a row with fifth-year head coach Sage Hopkins' alma mater.
For a third consecutive outing, sophomore Heather Denman was a triple-winner in individual events, turning in the meet's top times in the 100 backstroke (57.55), 200 butterfly (2:06.68) and 100 fly (56.66) races.
Remaining individual first-place efforts came from fellow sophomores Megan Mills in the 1000 free (10:43.32) and Kristin Yamaguchi in the 200 free (1:57.65), junior sprinter Meghan McCurley in the 50 free (23.95), freshman Marisa DeWames in the 100 free (52.08), junior tri-captain Kirsten Trammell in the 200 breaststroke (2:23.11) and freshman Julia Craddock in the 400 individual medley (4:31.67). McCurley was just .43 seconds off her season best.
Yamaguchi also anchored a winning relay for the first time in her college career, with juniors Rudie Guerrero, Caitlin Macky and Trammell ahead of her, as the lone Spartan entrant was fastest in the meet-opening 400 medley relay (4:00.03).
DeWames, fellow freshmen Kiley Foster and Elana Faria, and junior anchor Julie Wynn, timed 1:38.55 to touch the wall first in the 200 free relay to put a cap on the afternoon. Denman, junior Daphne Yeung, freshman Danielle Smyth and McCurley were a very close second in 1:38.64.
Early on, the Spartans went 1-2-4 in the 200 free, with junior Julia Koch (1:57.79) and Smyth (2:02.68) behind Yamaguchi, 1-3-4 in the 100 back with McCurley (1:00.42) and Guerrero (1:00.48) after Denman, and 1-2 in the 200 fly, as Craddock (2:09.18) followed Denman.
San Jose State then produced a dominant 1-2-3-4 finish in the 50 free, with DeWames (24.44), Foster (24.73) and Yeung (24.93) all hitting the wall on McCurley's heels. Following the first break, Foster was second (52.92) after DeWames in the 100 free.
The Spartans also swept the first three spots in the 400 IM. Macky timed a season-best 4:41.71 as the runner-up after Craddock, with Yamaguchi (4:45.78) close behind in her collegiate debut.
Macky placed second in both the 100 (1:07.07) and 200 (2:26.15) breaststroke races. Koch (5:11.78), Mills (5:15.86) and junior Ashley Krisman (5:24.88) were 2-3-5 in the 500 free. Guerrero touched third in the 100 fly in 1:00.28.
Senior tri-captain Hannah Tringham went a career-best 1:02.79 in her first appearance this season in the 100 back, while Faria swam 1:05.22 in her collegiate debut in the same event.
Rachel McCall (100 breast, 500 free) and Hanah Yoder (one- and three-meter diving) had the best marks in a pair of events for Cal State Bakersfield, with Stephanie Donnelly the only other top performer, in the 200 back (2:09.95).
The Spartans conclude both a three-week road stretch and their 2009-10 regular-season schedule in Fresno, Calif., next Saturday, February 6. The dual meet against the rival Bulldogs of Fresno State is slated for a 12:00 p.m. start at Clovis North Aquatics Complex.
San Jose State at Cal State Bakersfield, UC Santa Cruz
January 30, 2010
Final Team Scores
San Jose State (10-3) 172, Cal State Bakersfield (1-7) 113
San Jose State (11-3) 191, UC Santa Cruz (1-4) 115
Cal State Bakersfield (2-7) 157, UC Santa Cruz (1-5) 155
Results (Top marks plus all San Jose State competitors)
400 Yard Medley Relay
1. San Jose State 'A' (Rudie Guerrero, Caitlin Macky, Kirsten Trammell, Kristin Yamaguchi), 4:00.03.
1000 Yard Freestyle
1. Megan Mills, SJSU, 10:43.32; 4. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 10:58.33.
200 Yard Freestyle
1. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 1:57.65; 2. Julia Koch, SJSU, 1:57.79; 4. Danielle Smyth, SJSU, 2:02.68.
100 Yard Backstroke
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 57.55; 3. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 1:00.42; 4. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 1:00.48; 6. Elana Faria, SJSU, 1:05.22; Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 1:02.79.
100 Yard Breaststroke
1. Rachel McCall, CSUB, 1:06.14; 2. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 1:07.07; 6. Megan Lomazzi, SJSU, 1:16.17.
200 Yard Butterfly
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 2:06.68; 2. Julia Craddock, SJSU, 2:09.18.
50 Yard Freestyle
1. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 23.95; 2. Marisa DeWames, SJSU, 24.44; 3. Kiley Foster, SJSU, 24.73; 4. Daphe Yeung, SJSU, 24.93; Julie Wynn, SJSU, 25.55.
1. Hanah Yoder, CSUB, 229.15; Amy Kilby, SJSU, DQ.
100 Yard Freestyle
1. Marisa DeWames, SJSU, 52.08; 2. Kiley Foster, SJSU, 52.92; 6. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 55.28; Elana Faria, SJSU, 54.80; Danielle Smyth, SJSU, 55.39.
200 Yard Backstroke
1. Stephanie Donnelly, CSUB, 2:09.95; 2. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 2:10.82.
200 Yard Breaststroke
1. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:23.11; 2. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:26.15; 7. Megan Lomazzi, SJSU, 2:50.72.
500 Yard Freestyle
1. Rachel McCall, CSUB, 5:07.66; 2. Julia Koch, SJSU, 5:11.78; 3. Megan Mills, SJSU, 5:15.86; 5. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 5:24.88.
100 Yard Butterfly
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 56.66; 3. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 1:00.28.
1. Hanah Yoder, CSUB, 251.85; Amy Kilby, SJSU, DQ.
400 Yard Individual Medley
1. Julia Craddock, SJSU, 4:31.67; 2. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 4:41.71; 3. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 4:45.78.
200 Yard Freestyle Relay
1. San Jose State 'A' (Marisa DeWames, Kiley Foster, Elana Faria, Julie Wynn), 1:38.55; 2. San Jose State 'B' (Heather Denman, Daphne Yeung, Danielle Smyth, Meghan McCurley), 1:38.64; 5. San Jose State 'C' (Kristin Yamaguchi, Julia Koch, Megan Mills, Rudie Guerrero), 1:45.11.