Linzy Warkentin is a redshirt freshman on the 2008-09 San Jose State swimming and diving team. The native of Mission Viejo, Calif., primarily swims the butterfly and individual medley events.
Linzy, who has not declared her major yet, is our latest guest for our occasional website mini-feature, Swimming & Diving Q&A.
1. Who are some of your favorite musical artists? What’s the current ringtone on your cell?
My all-time favorite musical artists would have to be The Beatles. It would have been amazing to be able to see them live. My current ringtone is Australia, by The Shins (another favorite band).
2. Do you have any favorite movies or television shows?
My favorite movie is The Royal Tenenbaums, and I absolutely love any movie directed by Wes Anderson. I don’t watch too much television, but when I do, I am most likely watching Grey’s Anatomy, The Flight of the Conchords, That ’70s Show, or House.
3. What are some of your favorite foods? Do you have a favorite restaurant in the area?
It’s hard to pick one favorite food, but I’m pretty sure I could live off of bean and cheese burritos. La Vic’s or Iguana’s, it’s all the same to me. Chili’s isn’t my favorite restaurant, but I do find myself there at least once a week.
4. What is your favorite place you have visited? Is there a place in particular you would like to go some day?
My favorite place that I have visited would definitely have to be Brazil. The culture is totally different than anywhere I’ve ever been before. I can’t really pick out one place that I would like to visit in the future, because there are so many different places that I want to go.
5. When and how did Linzy come about, from Lindsay?
Well, when I was in elementary school, I just started playing around with spellings that were different from Lindsay, because I got tired of people calling me Lind-Say. I spelled it Linz, Linzee, Lynzy, but chose Linzy as the winner. I’ll eventually change it back to the real spelling.
6. You list photography as a hobby. How did that interest first start?
I have loved taking pictures going as far back as I can remember. My parents have given me many different cameras, film and digital, over the years.
7. Is there a type of photography that you enjoy more?
I really prefer film to digital, but digital has become much easier and much cheaper.
8. You and Ashley Ladd seem to have a pretty unique relationship and understanding, having swam together for so long, going back to club and high school. Talk a little bit about being here together on the swim team at San Jose State.
We didn’t plan on coming to San Jose State together. It was the very last day to decide where we wanted to go, and Ashley changed her school to San Jose State. We thought we would either start to hate each other, or exclude ourselves if we roomed together freshman year, so we decided against that. We’re still best friends, and it’s really nice having a little piece of home here in San Jose.
9. How has it felt to be able to contribute to what has been a very successful season thus far for San Jose State, after having to redshirt as a freshman a year ago?
I was worried about this season and how I would perform, because it’s been so long since I’ve really trained, but it has turned out that I’ve had a pretty good season this year. It was tough sitting out every meet last year and watching my teammates post best times while I was barely training at all. I was surprised at first when I started producing times that I had swam in high school, and now I’m just hoping that I will keep improving.
10. How eagerly are you anticipating your first WAC Championship next month? What do you expect out of yourself and your team at that event?
I’ve heard people talk about how great WAC is, and how I will never experience anything like it, so I am really excited to see if it’s really everything I’ve heard it is. At WAC, I expect to have all best times, because this is the first year in quite a while, that I have trained for the entire season. I think that everyone on the team is hoping to be #1 at WAC this year, because we all know that we have it in us to win.
2008-09 Swimming & Diving Q&A Guests
October 1 - Ashley Ladd, Sophomore
October 8 - Kirsten Trammell, Sophomore
October 30 - Rudie Guerrero, Sophomore
November 5 - Tomi Petty, Freshman
November 27 - Julie Wynn, Sophomore
December 5 - Daphne Yeung, Sophomore
December 13 - Hannah Tringham, Junior
January 7 - Tarolyn Robertson, Senior
January 8 - Megan Mills, Freshman
January 13 - Beste Erener, Senior
January 15 - Kristin Yamaguchi, Freshman
January 21 - Linzy Warkentin, Redshirt Freshman