Davis, Calif. - San Jose State University knocked off host UC Davis, 170-129, and cruised past Western Athletic Conference rival Fresno State, 240-57, in a women’s swimming and diving double dual meet at UCD’s Schaal Aquatics Center on Saturday, January 10.
The results extend San Jose State’s dual meet win streak now to 12 straight, and improves its overall record to 12-1. UC Davis and Fresno State are 7-8 and 0-6, respectively, after the Aggies rolled past the Bulldogs, 229.5-67.5.
The Spartans’ win over UC Davis was their first in four tries under fourth-year head coach Sage Hopkins, and the first against the Aggies for any of the 25 swimmers and divers on this year’s roster. San Jose State last defeated UC Davis, 175-124, at home on October 16, 2004, back during the 2004-05 season, just ahead of Hopkins’ arrival at the helm. The Aggies, ranked No. 16 in the latest CSCAA/CollegeSwimming.com Mid-Major poll, won in double dual action in each of the past three years.
San Jose State had already defeated Fresno State once this season, 198-80, at a double dual in Santa Cruz, Calif., on October 18, and will host the Bulldogs on Senior Day on February 7. Fresno State re-introduced it’s women’s swimming and diving program this year after it was cut following the 2003-04 campaign.
On Saturday, Spartan swimmers and divers won all 16 events against Fresno State, and 10 of 16 against UC Davis.
Heather Denman (Brookeville, Md./Sherwood HS) was perfect once again, defeating both opponents in all three of her individual events, timing 2:03.95 in the 200 fly, 2:08.72 in the 200 back and 57.34 in the 100 fly. Freshman teammate Amy Friedhoff (Federal Way, Wash./Thomas Jefferson HS) swept the distance freestyle events, swimming 10:33.40 in the 1000 before turning in a time of 5:08.44 later in the 500.
A third multiple individual event winner was fourth-year senior Lauren Mar. The San Francisco native took the 100 back in 56.87 and the 100 free in 52.09. Mar’s 100 back time was just .40 seconds off her career best, which is third all-time in the school record book.
Other winners included Meghan McCurley (Fair Oaks, Calif./Bella Vista HS) against both opponents in the 50 free (24.16), and fellow sophomores Julia Koch (200 free, 1:58.03) and Kirsten Trammell (200 IM, 2:12.28) against Fresno State. A third sophomore, Caitlin Macky, swept the breaststroke events over the Bulldogs, timing 1:06.25 in the 100 and 2:23.50 in the 200.
The Spartans dominated in diving. Freshman Jessica Holden won the three-meter springboard competition with a score of 252.90 points, while sophomore teammate Jo Thibodaux was tops from one meter with 252.40 points. Thibodaux had the second-highest score on the three-meter board (234.30), with Holden second on the one-meter (223.00).
Finally, San Jose State finished second behind UC Davis but defeated Fresno State in both relay events, the 200 medley (1:47.28) to start the day’s festivities, as well as the 400 free (3:32.61). The 200 medley relay was a particularly close race, with the Spartan foursome of Mar, Trammell, Denman and McCurley narrowly getting edged out by the Aggies (1:47.23). The A’ 400 free foursome which was also out-touched by UCD by the narrowest of margins, .08 seconds, consisted of Mar, McCurley, Friedhoff and Daphne Yeung.
The meet between San Jose State and UC Davis went back-and-forth early, with the teams trading wins over the first four individual events, after UCD’s opening relay triumph. Starting with Denman in the 200 fly, and continuing with McCurley (50 free), Mar (100 free) and Denman again in the 200 back, the Spartans took four straight events to grab a lead they would not relinquish.
UC Davis junior Heidi Kucera won the 100 breast (1:04.73), 200 breast (2:19.69) and 200 IM (2:06.90), while also swimming the second leg on the winning 200 medley relay.
San Jose State contributions also came from freshman Megan Mills (10:34.85), junior Hannah Tringham (2:07.29), McCurley (53.21) and senior Katey Nelson (2:09.12), as they insured 1-2 finishes for the Spartans in the 1000 free, 200 fly, 100 free and 200 back races, respectively.
The Spartans return to San Jose immediately after the meet in Davis, and conclude the road portion of their 2008-09 regular season with a straight dual at Cal State East Bay in Hayward, Calif., on Friday, January 16. The meet is set to begin at 3:00 p.m.
San Jose State at UC Davis, vs. Fresno State
January 10, 2009
Final Team Scores
San Jose State (12-1) 170, UC Davis (7-8) 129
San Jose State (12-1) 240, Fresno State (0-6) 57
UC Davis (7-8) 229.5, Fresno State (0-6) 67.5
Results (Winners plus all San Jose State competitors)
200 Yard Medley Relay
1. UC Davis A’ (Emily Medved, Heidi Kucera, Mary Struempf, Amanda Holman), 1:47.23. 2. San Jose State A’ (Lauren Mar, Kirsten Trammell, Heather Denman, Meghan McCurley), 1:47.28. 3. San Jose State B’ (Rudie Guerrero, Caitlin Macky, Tarolyn Robertson, Daphne Yeung), 1:50.12.
1000 Yard Freestyle
1. Amy Friedhoff, SJSU, 10:33.40. 2. Megan Mills, SJSU, 10:34.85. 5. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 11:01.90.
200 Yard Freestyle
1. Linda Hermann, UCD, 1:55.45. 3. Julia Koch, SJSU, 1:58.03. 4. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 1:59.17. 6. Erin Garcia, SJSU, 2:01.32.
100 Yard Backstroke
1. Lauren Mar, SJSU, 56.87. 3. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 1:00.80. 4. Katey Nelson, SJSU, 1:01.46.
100 Yard Breaststroke
1. Heidi Kucera, UCD, 1:04.73. 2. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 1:06.25. 3. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 1:06.99. 8. Kristin Yamaguchi, SJSU, 1:12.72.
200 Yard Butterfly
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 2:03.95. 2. Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 2:07.29. 4. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:11.45.
50 Yard Freestyle
1. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 24.16. 3. Daphne Yeung, SJSU, 24.83. 5. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 25.43. Ashley Ladd, SJSU, 25.97.
1. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 252.40. 2. Jessica Holden, SJSU, 223.00.
100 Yard Freestyle
1. Lauren Mar, SJSU, 52.09. 2. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 53.21.6. Erin Garcia, SJSU, 55.61.
200 Yard Backstroke
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 2:08.72. 2. Katey Nelson, SJSU, 2:09.12. 5. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:14.07.
200 Yard Breaststroke
1. Heidi Kucera, UCD, 2:19.69. 2. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:23.50. 3. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:25.71.
500 Yard Freestyle
1. Amy Friedhoff, SJSU, 5:08.44. 3. Megan Mills, SJSU, 5:13.41. 4. Julia Koch, SJSU, 5:14.76. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 5:23.46.
100 Yard Butterfly
1. Heather Denman, SJSU, 57.34. 3. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 59.10. 5. Linzy Warkentin, SJSU, 1:01.32.
1. Jessica Holden, SJSU, 252.90. 2. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 234.30.
200 Yard Individual Medley
1. Heidi Kucera, UCD, 2:06.90. 2. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:12.28. 5. Beste Erener, SJSU, 2:14.20.
400 Yard Freestyle Relay
1. UC Davis A’ (Amanda Holman, Linda Hermann, Emily Medved, Amber Bonds), 3:32.53. 2. San Jose State A’ (Lauren Mar, Meghan McCurley, Amy Friedhoff, Daphne Yeung), 3:32.61. 4. San Jose State B’ (Ashley Ladd, Julia Koch, Julie Wynn, Kristin Yamaguchi), 3:40.29.