Bakersfield, Calif. - San Jose State University defeated host Cal State Bakersfield in a women’s swimming and diving dual meet for the second day in a row, this time taking eight of 12 events to win by the score of 128-82, at the John S. Hillman Aquatics Center on Saturday, January 5.
With a third straight road victory, San Jose State moves its dual meet record to 7-4 and assures itself of a winning mark for the dual season with one date left at home on Saturday, January 26. The Spartans remained undefeated against the Runners in three meetings under third-year head coach Sage Hopkins, a graduate of Cal State Bakersfield. San Jose State had previously won at CSUB on Friday afternoon, 149-61, placing first in 10 of 12 events, and a year ago on January 6, 2007, 188-160.
For the second consecutive day, the Spartans started with a 1-2 finish in the medley relay, with the teams swimming the 400 on Saturday after contesting the 200 the day before. Freshman Caitlin Macky was again the lone double individual winner for San Jose State, the San Diego native touching first in the 400 individual medley (4:46.51) and the 100 breaststroke (1:09.16) after taking the 200 IM and 200 breast on Friday. Her margin of victory was 5.83 over CSUB freshman Stephanie Donnelly as the only Spartan competitor in the 400 IM. Macky also won the 100 breast as the only SJSU entrant, by just .09 seconds.
Senior Jillene Golez and freshmen Julia Koch and Meghan McCurley each had one individual victory while also swimming on a first-place relay. Koch and senior Amanda Carr turned in 1-2 efforts in the 200 free and 500 free events, with Koch winning the 200 and Carr the 500.
The San Jose State A’ medley relay of Lauren Mar, Macky, Golez and McCurley timed 4:05.10 ahead of the B’ foursome of Rudie Guerrero, Kirsten Trammell, Ally Jack and Daphne Yeung in 4:10.65. It marked the collegiate 400 medley relay debut for freshmen Guerrero and Yeung. Mar’s opening backstroke split of 58.18 bettered her previous best performance over 100 yards this season of 58.39. She had already turned in a season best by over two seconds in winning the 200 back on Friday, alongside an opening split of 27.03 to lead the first-place 200 medley relay to match her season best for 50 yards.
“I had a lot of fun the last two days and I’m very happy about my times,” said Mar. “Everyone has done a good job so far this weekend.”
The Spartans went 1-2-3-4 in the first individual swimming event of the meet, the 200 free, with Trammell (2:02.29) edging fellow freshman Ashley Krisman (2:02.62) for third following Koch (1:59.89) and Carr (1:59.93) in an even more narrow finish of their own for first.
Golez (59.89) won the 100 fly for San Jose State by 3.42 over Runner junior Lexie Kelly (1:03.31), with Jack third in 1:03.40.
McCurley (55.53) took the 100 freestyle for the second time in as many days over Cal State Bakersfield, with San Jose native Amanda Mikaelsson posting the highest individual finish of her young collegiate career in second (56.93). A third freshman, Julie Wynn, was fourth in 57.55.
Senior Erin Craft was one of two Cal State Bakersfield athletes to win two individual events, taking the 50 free (25.67) over a quartet of Spartans right behind in the absence of senior co-captain Brie Marhenke, and the 100 backstroke (1:00.51) in which Mar did not compete. McCurley (26.24), senior Sara Riley (26.37), Yeung (26.38) and freshman Ashley Ladd (26.73) placed second through fifth in the 50. Guerrero was the top Spartan finisher in the 100 back, turning in a third-place effort in 1:03.73. Senior co-captain Nikki Chapman was fifth (1:08.20) as the only other Spartan entrant in the event.
Carr won the 500 in 5:18.79 over Koch (5:20.93) after finishing first in the 1000 free on Friday. Krisman completed a 1-2-3 Spartan sweep in 5:23.45.
Freshman Spartan diver Jo Thibodaux was second on both the one-meter (185.33) and three-meter (192.90) springboards behind Runner sophomore Emily Bissett (209.93 and 201.23).
The 400 freestyle relay to close the meet featured the Spartan C’ team of Yeung, Erin Garcia, Koch and Hannah Tringham (3:43.73) edging the A’ foursome of freshmen Guerrero, Krisman and Ladd ahead of Marhenke (3:44.62). The B’ relay of Trammell, Wynn, Mikaelsson and Riley was third in 3:49.33. It was the only event of the day for Marhenke and sophomores Garcia and Tringham, and the season debut for Tringham and the collegiate debut for Guerrero, Krisman, Ladd, Trammell, Wynn and Mikaelsson in a 400 free relay. It was also the first 100 freestyle race of any kind for Tringham this year and of Guerrero and Trammell’s college careers.
“We produced a very strong meet from top to bottom,” said Hopkins. “Caitlin Macky was a double event winner for the second day in a row. Lauren Mar again had probably the best performance of the meet in the 100 backstroke (from the medley relay). We are now looking forward to the competition tomorrow at UC Irvine.”
San Jose State next heads further south to Irvine, Calif., late Saturday, January 5, to take part in the final day of the UC Irvine/Ayres Hotel & Suites Invitational on Sunday, January 6, at UCI’s Anteater Aquatics Complex. Spartan swimmers will participate in the relay portion of the meet, which will feature approximately a dozen events, with Thibodaux competing on the one-meter diving board. The meet is slated to begin at 10:00 a.m.
San Jose State at Cal State Bakersfield
January 5, 2008
Final Team Score
San Jose State (7-4) 128, Cal State Bakersfield 82
400 Yard Medley Relay
1. San Jose State A’ (Lauren Mar, Caitlin Macky, Jillene Golez, Meghan McCurley), 4:05.10. 2. San Jose State B’ (Rudie Guerrero, Kirsten Trammell, Ally Jack, Daphne Yeung), 4:10.65. 3. Cal State Bakersfield A’ (Stephanie Donnelly, Veronica Campbell, Lexie Kelly, Tessa Brown), 4:11.97. 4. Cal State Bakersfield B’ (Keri Naffziger, Jennifer King, Lacey Payne, Sarah Brannstrom), 4:31.50.
200 Yard Freestyle
1. Julia Koch, SJSU, 1:59.89. 2. Amanda Carr, SJSU, 1:59.93. 3. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:02.29. 4. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 2:02.62. 5. Leah Felber, CSUB, 2:03.65. 6. Rachel Schell, CSUB, 2:10.28. 7. Katrina Thomas, CSUB, 2:12.00.
50 Yard Freestyle
1. Erin Craft, CSUB, 25.67. 2. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 26.24. 3. Sara Riley, SJSU, 26.37. 4. Daphne Yeung, SJSU, 26.38. 5. Ashley Ladd, SJSU, 26.73. 6. Jennifer King, CSUB, 27.63. 7. Tessa Brown, CSUB, 27.74.
400 Yard Individual Medley
1. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 4:46.51. 2. Stephanie Donnelly, CSUB, 4:52.34. 3. Lexie Kelly, CSUB, 5:02.68. 4. Lacey Payne, CSUB, 5:13.34.
1. Emily Bissett, CSUB, 209.93. 2. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 185.33.
100 Yard Butterfly
1. Jillene Golez, SJSU, 59.89. 2. Lexie Kelly, CSUB, 1:03.31. 3. Ally Jack, SJSU, 1:03.40. 4. Lacey Payne, CSUB, 1:06.80. 5. Keri Naffziger, CSUB, 1:11.00. 6. Katie Sutton, CSUB, 1:12.20.
100 Yard Freestyle
1. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 55.53. 2. Amanda Mikaelsson, SJSU, 56.93. 3. Veronica Campbell, CSUB, 57.38. 4. Julie Wynn, CSUB, 57.55. 5. Rachel Schell, CSUB, 58.92.
100 Yard Backstroke
1. Erin Craft, CSUB, 1:00.51. 2. Stephanie Donnelly, CSUB, 1:02.02. 3. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 1:03.73. 4. Sarah Brannstrom, CSUB, 1:08.12. 5. Nikki Chapman, CSUB, 1:08.20. 6. Keri Naffziger, CSUB, 1:09.06.
500 Yard Freestyle
1. Amanda Carr, SJSU, 5:18.79. 2. Julia Koch, SJSU, 5:20.93. 3. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 5:23.45. 4. Leah Felber, CSUB, 5:23.59. 5. Katrina Thomas, CSUB, 5:53.31.
1. Emily Bissett, CSUB, 201.23. 2. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 192.90.
100 Yard Breaststroke
1. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 1:09.16. 2. Tessa Brown, CSUB, 1:09.25. 3. Veronica Campbell, CSUB, 1:11.50. 4. Jennifer King, CSUB, 1:12.29. 5. Katie Sutton, CSUB, 1:23.89.
400 Yard Freestyle Relay
1. San Jose State C’ (Daphne Yeung, Erin Garcia, Julia Koch, Hannah Tringham), 3:43.73. 2. San Jose State A’ (Rudie Guerrero, Ashley Krisman, Ashley Ladd, Brie Marhenke), 3:44.62. 3. San Jose State B’ (Kirsten Trammell, Julie Wynn, Amanda Mikaelsson, Sara Riley), 3:49.33. 4. Cal State Bakersfield B’ (Leah Felber, Rachel Schell, Katrina Thomas, Erin Craft), 3:50.59.