Bakersfield, Calif. - The San Jose State University women’s swimming and diving team won 10 of 12 total events to comfortably get past Cal State Bakerfield, 149-61, in a dual meet at CSUB’s Hillman Aquatics Center on Friday, January 4.
With the win in its first competition of 2008, a second straight triumph away from home, San Jose State improves its dual meet record to 6-4 on the season. Cal State Bakersfield drops to 0-3. The Spartans had also won at third-year head coach Sage Hopkins’ alma mater, 188-160, a year ago on January 6, 2007.
Caitlin Macky, a true freshman out of San Diego, Calif., and West Hills High School, led the way for the Spartans as their only double individual winner, in the 200 individual medley (2:13.24) and 200 breaststroke (2:29.97) events. She won the 200 breast by over three seconds and also swam the breaststroke leg of the first-place 200 medley relay to begin the meet.
Joining Macky on the A’ medley relay were Lauren Mar, Jillene Golez and freshman freestyle anchor Daphne Yeung as the foursome timed 1:51.03. The B’ relay of freshmen Rudie Guerrero, Kirsten Trammell and Julie Wynn, with sophomore Ally Jack on the butterfly leg, swam 1:54.95 for second place.
Amanda Carr (10:49.24) and Ashley Krisman (10:55.78) finished 1-2 in the 1000 freestyle, while Amanda Mikaelsson timed a lifetime-best 11:39.72 in fourth in her first collegiate 1000 freestyle race.
Erin Garcia posted her first collegiate win in a dual meet in the 200 freestyle, swimming 1:58.64, with freshman Julia Koch (1:59.62) following her in second. Returners Hannah Tringham (2:01.02) and Tarolyn Robertson (2:02.15) went 3-4 in their first 200 freestyle races this season.
Senior co-captain Brie Marhenke remained perfect 9-0 this season and 21-0 in her Spartan career in dual meets in the 50 freestyle, winning Friday’s event in 23.67, by over a second and a half over freshman teammate Meghan McCurley. Julie Wynn (26.41) and Sara Riley (26.61) placed fourth and sixth, respectively.
In addition to touching second behind fellow freshman standout Macky in the 200 IM in 214.76, Trammell won the 200 fly in a lifetime-best 2:14.03. It marked her first collegiate 200 butterfly race. Jack was second in 215.50.
With Marhenke sitting the 100 freestyle out, McCurley earned her first collegiate dual meet victory in 54.72, leading a 1-2-3-5 charge of Spartan freshmen with Yeung (55.80), Koch (56.26) and Krisman (58.01) following her.
Mar turned in a season-best time of 2:08.27 in winning the 200 backstroke event, shaving more than two seconds off her previous best in her junior year, of 2:10.38 from October. Guerrero was fourth in 2:15.48.
Marhenke returned to the pool to lead off the winning A’ 200 freestyle relay to close the meet, sprinting to a 23.93 split as the foursome timed 1:41.44. Guerrero, Koch and Riley followed Marhenke, with Guerrero and Riley notching the first relay wins in dual competition of their Spartan careers.
McCurley, Yeung, Robertson and Wynn made up the second-place B’ relay in 1:42.08. The Spartan C’ relay of senior co-captain Nikki Chapman, Mikaelsson, freshman Ashley Ladd and Krisman, went 1:50.23 for fourth. Chapman’s leadoff leg marked the backstroke specialist's first freestyle race of the season, as well as her first career 200 free relay appearance.
Jo Thibodaux, a freshman diver from Alvin, Texas, finished second on both the one-meter (198.75) and three-meter (200.25) springboards. Sophomore Emily Bissett notched both Cal State Bakersfield wins on the day with first-place marks of 219.15 on the one-meter and 216.45 on the three-meter board.
On the day, San Jose State posted two lifetime bests (Trammell and Mikaelsson), eight season-best times and six unshaved lifetime bests. In addition to the 10 event victories, the Spartans placed no worse than first and second in each of the first seven events and eight in all.
“We had great performances across the board, especially considering the weather conditions,” remarked Hopkins. “There was a pretty bad dust storm through the entire length of the meet, and they were certainly unique weather conditions. Our two standout performers today were Lauren Mar and Brie Marhenke. Lauren had a great 50 back in the medley relay and was right on her lifetime best in the 200 back. Brie had two great 50 free races, one as an individual and the other to lead off the winning (200 free) relay.”
The Spartans and Runners face off again at the Hillman Aquatics Center on Saturday, January 5, in another 12-event dual meet. The day’s activity will begin at 11:00 a.m. with the 400 medley relay.
San Jose State at Cal State Bakersfield
January 4, 2008
Final Team Score
San Jose State (6-4) 149, Cal State Bakersfield (0-3) 61
200 Yard Medley Relay
1. San Jose State A’ (Lauren Mar, Caitlin Macky, Jillene Golez, Daphne Yeung), 1:51.03. 2. San Jose State B’ (Rudie Guerrero, Kirsten Trammell, Ally Jack, Julie Wynn), 1:54.95. 3. Cal State Bakersfield A’ (Stephanie Donnelly, Tessa Brown, Lexie Kelly, Veronica Campbell), 1:55.03. 4. Cal State Bakersfield B’ (Sarah Brannstrom, Jennifer King, Lacey Payne, Rachel Schell), 2:03.53.
1000 Yard Freestyle
1. Amanda Carr, SJSU, 10:49.24. 2. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 10:55.78. 3. Leah Felber, CSUB, 11:21.30. 4. Amanda Mikaelsson, SJSU, 11:39.72. 5. Keri Naffziger, CSUB, 12:00.38.
200 Yard Freestyle
1. Erin Garcia, SJSU, 1:58.64. 2. Julia Koch, SJSU, 1:59.62. 3. Hannah Tringham, SJSU, 2:01.02. 4. Tarolyn Robertson, SJSU, 2:02.15. 5. Erin Craft, CSUB, 2:05.50. 6. Katrina Thomas, CSUB, 2:09.94. 7. Katie Sutton, CSUB, 2:26.39.
50 Yard Freestyle
1. Brie Marhenke, SJSU, 23.67. 2. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 25.35. 3.Veronica Campbell, CSUB, 26.17. 4. Julie Wynn, SJSU, 26.41. 5. Tessa Brown, CSUB, 26.43. 6. Sara Riley, SJSU, 26.61. 7. Jennifer King, CSUB, 26.67. 8. Sarah Brannstrom, CSUB, 28.94.
200 Yard Individual Medley
1. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:13.24. 2. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:14.76. 3. Stephanie Donnelly, CSUB, 2:17.36. 4. Lexie Kelly, CSUB, 2:17.70. 5. Lacey Payne, CSUB, 2:30.64.
1. Emily Bissett, CSUB, 219.15. 2. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 198.75.
200 Yard Butterfly
1. Kirsten Trammell, SJSU, 2:14.03. 2. Ally Jack, SJSU, 2:15.50. 3. Lexie Kelly, CSUB, 2:23.81. 4. Lacey Payne, CSUB, 2:33.50.
100 Yard Freestyle
1. Meghan McCurley, SJSU, 54.72. 2. Daphne Yeung, SJSU, 55.80. 3. Julia Koch, SJSU, 56.26. 4. Leah Felber, CSUB, 56.48. 5. Ashley Krisman, SJSU, 58.01. 6. Katrina Thomas, CSUB, 1:00.24. 7. Rachel Schell, CSUB, 1:01.36. 8. Keri Naffziger, CSUB, 1:02.19.
200 Yard Backstroke
1. Lauren Mar, SJSU, 2:08.27. 2. Stephanie Donnelly, CSUB, 2:09.38. 3. Erin Craft, CSUB, 2:11.99. 4. Rudie Guerrero, SJSU, 2:15.48. 5. Sarah Brannstrom, CSUB, 2:27.85.
1. Emily Bissett, CSUB, 216.45. 2. Jo Thibodaux, SJSU, 200.25.
200 Yard Breaststroke
1. Caitlin Macky, SJSU, 2:29.97. 2. Tessa Brown, CSUB, 2:33.22. 3. Jennifer King, CSUB, 2:41.69. 4. Katie Sutton, CSUB, 3:05.58.
200 Yard Freestyle Relay
1. San Jose State A’ (Brie Marhenke, Rudie Guerrero, Julia Koch, Sara Riley), 1:41.44. 2. San Jose State B’ (Meghan McCurley, Daphne Yeung, Tarolyn Robertson, Julie Wynn), 1:42.08. 3. Cal State Bakersfield A’ (Veronica Campbell, Leah Felber, Rachel Schell, Erin Craft), 1:44.44. 4. San Jose State C’ (Nikki Chapman, Amanda Mikaelsson, Ashley Ladd, Ashley Krisman), 1:50.23.