April 19, 2014
Sacramento, Calif.--The San José State University sand volleyball team played the final two matches of the inaugural season Saturday at Sacramento State. The Spartans fell to Sacramento State 5-0 and California 5-0.
Megan Powers and McKenzie Palassou went three sets against Sacramento State's Kayla Beal and Kate Aprile, winning the second set 21-19 and taking the third set to 15-11. Powers and Palassou also went three sets against the Golden Bear's Adrienne Gehan and Joan Caloiaro, winning the second set 21-19.
Kiely Pieper and Tyanna Roy played a tough match against the Hornets' Lauren Aikels and Chelcy Motes. Pieper and Roy fell 21-16 in the first set before winning 23-21. The two teams battled in the third set before Aikels and Motes won 20-18. Roy and Pieper fell in straight sets in the match against California.
Lindsay Skadeland and Sabrina Webb also took their match against Morgan Stanley and Kendal LaVine of Sacramento State to three sets. Skadeland and Webb won the first set 21-9 and fell in a close third set 16-14.
San José State finishes the season with a 0-12 overall record.
Sacramento State 5, San José State 0
1. Kayla Beal-Katie Aprile (SAC) def. Megan Powers-McKenzie Palassou (SJS), 13-21, 21-19, 15-11
2. Madeline Cannon-Sloan Lovett (SAC) def. Lauren Jacobsen-Cori O'Donoghue (SJS), 23-21, 21-14
3. Lauren Aikels-Chelcy Motes (SAC) def. Kiely Pieper-Tyanna Roy (SJS), 21-16, 21-23, 20-18
4. Morgan Stanley-Kendall LaVine (SAC) def. Lindsay Skadeland-Sabrina Webb (SJS), 9-21, 21-14, 16-14
5. Lexie Skalbeck-Courtney Dietrich (SAC) wins via forfeit
California 5, San José State 0
1. Adrienne Gehan-Joan Caloiaro (Cal) def. Megan Powers-McKenzie Palassou (SJS) - 21-15, 19-21, 15-12
2. Sarah Cole-Lara Vukasovic (Cal) def. Lauren Jacobsen-Cori O'Donoghue (SJS) - 21-9, 21-19
3. Maddy Kerr-Mikki Gonbar (Cal) def. Tyanna Roy-Kiely Pieper (SJS) - 21-17, 21-16
4. Sabrina Blackwell-Katarina Milosavijevic (Cal) def. Lindsay Skadeland-Sabrina Webb (SJS) 21-13, 21-14.
5. Emily Lunt-Caroline Olson (Cal) wins via forfeit.
# # #